PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
So if you had a choice between a new Castello vs a new Dunhill and you don't own either one which would you choose and why.
I'm on the fence between two pipes I really like and if my wife found out I would be found dead by the roadside. lmao

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If they were identical in shape and so caught my eye in the shop, and passed my other tests, I would select the Dunhill. I say that only because I've yet to have a Dunny catch my eye. I want a Dunhill and have no interest in a Castello.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If I had a choice between a Dunhill and a Castello, I'd go with the Castello. I have both Dunhills and Castellos, and I love my Castellos. Great smokers and beautiful pipes. This is one of mine.
Qdq441c.jpg

icma6WE.jpg

They represent different traditions in pipe making.

• Love
Reactions: Papamique

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I would buy the Castello, they seem to smoke better to me, they also taste better. I like Dunhill's for their classic English shapes and I have a couple for that reason. However, I smoke my Castello's a lot more.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good God, Jesse. The birds eye on your Castello is just extraordinary.
Marriage, sadly, is fragile while pipes can last multiple lifetimes.
Choose accordingly.
Fnord

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Being you're speaking new manufacture I'd go with Castello hands down, were it an estate you were deciding then I'd look at when they were made, the grade, condition and style since both are excellent, best of luck.

banjo

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Castello would be my choice, great smokers and price point is much lower, but no real difference in quality

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Being you're speaking new manufacture I'd go with Castello hands down, were it an estate you were deciding then I'd look at when they were made, the grade, condition and style since both are excellent, best of luck.

banjo
/end thread

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, it depends on how picky you are on stems and buttons.

As Sam pointed out, Castello uses acrylic and Dunhill vulcanite (overall, I prefer Vulcanite).
Most new Castellos have pretty chunky buttons.
Last year, I purchased a new Castello and a new Dunhill (both bulldog shapes,same physical size). Both are terrific pipes, but I reach for the Dunhill more often because of the more comfortable button. I supposed I could fix the Castello, and I just might.
Other than the button, it's a toss up for the other features. (Castello Trademark vs Dunhill Cumberland)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dunhill. For me, that's because I don't like acrylic stems and I prefer smaller pipes under 30 grams.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I want a Dunhill and have no interest in a Castello.
Warren wants a Dunny! Who'd a thunk?
@sablebrush52
That Castello has the finest bird's eye I've ever seen on a pipe.
@fitzy
I'd probably would try to find another way to decide on the pipe other than the brand name.
There must be one detail on one of the pipes that takes you off the fence.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Love Castellos, but I'm a Dunhill guy. It's hard to compare brand for brand. It's FAR FAR FAR easier to compare pipe for pipe. There are certain Castellos I'd pick and certain Dunhills. I picked Dunhill because I own more Dunhills.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It's funny they are both very similar in bowl dimensions, weight and price with the Castello being slightly longer. The Castello is a KKKK grade and the Dunhill is in the Chestnut line. I wasn't sure if one brand smokes better than the other. I think I'm leaning towards the Dunhill mainly because I have a thing for cumberland stems. lol
Jesse I've got to say that's an amazing Castello.
The third option being a very affordable year 2000 estate Dunhill shell briar birth year pipe for my son to give him in two years when he turns 18. I could always wait on this and keep my eye out in the next two years for another 2000 year Dunhill.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jesse's Castello looks like an Ocho Di Pernice, a rare Bird!
I'd also add that i own/owned Dunhills from every decade starting in 1961. My new White Dot would be the equal or better than those eras.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks SSjones. I was curious how new Dunhills compared to ones from previous decades.

I have a Castello and a couple of Dunnies, but I would never choose a pipe on brand alone. I am not faithful enough to either of these two pipe brands to just assume that either would be a great smoker over the other. As others have pointed out, more would have to be added to the mix, shape, style, bowl size, button, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.