Castello Shape 55 (Rad Davis Interpretation)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
This is a shape that many pipe smokers aren't in love with. I have one, though, and it is one my favourite pipes - in particular, I find it to be a flake smoking machine. Oddly, mine is made by Rad Davis, and I don't actually have one made by Castello yet, though I am continuously on the hunt. Last night I picked up my second Rad in this shape.
Apparently there are others who love the shape as well. Neil Archer Roan has a great piece on the Shape 55: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/12/5/the-ugly-duckling.html
Greg Pease also has several wonderful examples of the shape on his Castello page: http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Collection/castello.html
If you are looking for a fantastic flake smoking pipe, you should give the Shape 55 a try.
My two Rad versions are below. The latest is shown first and, unusually for Rad, has a gold leaf shank treatment.

Here is the first Rad Shape 55 I picked up.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Both pipes are really elegant squatty shapes, reminds me of me! LOL Peck they really are beautiful works, yes I like the shape and just know they will smoke fine, good pick.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Beautiful Rads! But yeah I have to admit the shape is not for me. Never get tired of seeing Rad's awesome sandblasts -thanks for sharing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, you must have gotten your latest within 30 seconds of it being listed because when I checked it within 1 minute it was already reserved, man you are quick. That is a gorgeous pipe and I love the gold stem app, never seen that before. Your other one is also great looking, both have incredible blasts. I am on the fence with the shape, when I first began seeing it was not for me, but it is kind of growing on me. Since it smokes flakes so well, I might just have to add one to the collection, congrats on your new pipe buddy.

Dec 24, 2012
Give it a try. The hand feel of this pipe shape is perfect - extremely comfortable.
Rad is working on two more shape 55s for me. I want a 7 day set.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe.
With a 7 day set of Rad's and another seven day set of Cooke's you only need to select 3 additional carvers for weekly sets to get you thru all months on the year. Some months have 5 weeks but for the ones that don't you will have more pipes to select the ones you want to use.

Dec 24, 2012
flmason - your comment makes me wonder whether JT Cooke would be willing to make me his interpretation of a Shape 55. Hmmm . . .

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Those are some really beautiful pipes. The second one is just stunning. Rad Davis is an artist.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Those are just absolutely beautiful pipes, Peck. The blast on both are bodaciously good. I love the shape, too.
Now, I'm gonna show some age here.
Don't know if you recall the Disney Movie "Lady and the Tramp" back in the 1950s. Lady was a beautiful cocker spaniel. And Tramp was a mutt. Lady lived with her owners, Jim and Darling.
Jim smoked a pipe. To me, it had the 55 shape. One of my first pipes was a pot (basket pipe) that was similar to Jim's pipe, which was pretty much in his teeth all the time. That was the best I could do then, being in college at the time. I could barely afford the basket pipe.
I still have that pipe and recently began its restoration. It isn't anywhere close to the real 55 shape, but I thought it was just like Jim's in the movie.
I love that Davis shape. Maybe one day, I'll see if I can't snag one.
Congratulations on two beautiful pieces of smoking art!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's a pretty interesting Disney detail tensmoker!
I love that 55 shape, but have yet to add one to my rack. Both of those Rad's would have a warm spot in my heart!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I think that the shape 55 is one of the least attractive pipes ever!!!! OK I said it. LOL

I own a Castello Sea Rock G55 shape, and like Peck says its a smoking machine. I guess that can only be the reason so many people like them.

The Castello I have is just a Plain Jane but at least Peck has a couple beauties with some embellishments and great sandblast finishes. It puts a whole different perspective to the shape.

Awesome Peck, as usual Rad makes a couple more masterpieces.

:clap:

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Ugly pipe? No way, the beauty of the blast, grain and workmanship would make Bradley's angry bull beautiful.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
your comment makes me wonder whether JT Cooke would be willing to make me his interpretation of a Shape 55. Hmmm

He might if the shape catches is interest. I've seen his interpretation of the shapes 23, 30 and 65 he's done for friends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, how are they for clenching, does the length or lack there of become an issue like smoke getting in your eyes? I honestly do not buy pipes anymore for hand feel but for ease of clenching. Those thick walls are very intriguing especially when you take into account how light it is. I am thinking it has to be a flake smoking machine.

Dec 24, 2012
Well its 5 and 1/8 inches. That's not so bad. Under 50g to boot. Smoke doesn't get in my eyes (and if it did I would just write a song about it).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
5 1/8 should be fine for no smoke in the eyes. I am definitely adding one of these to my Rad collection. Now what stain do I choose, Natural, Mahogany, the one peck just bought, decisions decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.