PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Hey guys, I need your advice. I made an offer on a post 2007 unsmoked black Castello Sea Rock GG billiard with a slight curve/bend in the bowl and straight stem. the guy was asking $300 and i got him down to $270, but he won't budge from there. Pipe looks amazing and i have done plenty of research to know what these things go for brand new. Problem is, i have wanted a Castello for a while, but certainly don't NEED it. Do y'all think $270 is a "definitely don't pass it up and buy it right now" or is it a so so deal that is more of a "not that great of a deal, you can find another at that price fairly common". It comes with the pipe sock and box.
Dims are as follows:
Pipe length x bowl height 6.55" x 2.45"

Chamber depth x diameter 2.09" x 0.88"

Weight 3.9 oz (111 g)
here is the link to the pipe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITALIAN-ESTATE-PIPE-CASTELLO-SEA-ROCK-BRIAR-GG-UNSMOKED-/360895464988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54070bc61c#ht_0wt_0
Thanks in advance,

Corey

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Buying brand new unsmoked from a retailer would be $440 so $270 sounds reasonable.
The money is coming from your bank account so only you can make the final choice.
I hope you enjoy the pipe if you decide to buy it.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
If you have your heart set on a Castello, the price is certainly right. Ultimately the dollar figure is for you to decide of course.
I have a Sea Rock in a large Oom Paul shape and it is a fantastic smoker as well as a Collection KKK Canadian shape. Castello is one of those brands that is not cheap but you do get what you pay for.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'll just add that all my Castellos are wonderful smokers. They are fantastic pipes.
Bob

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
If you are sure you want a GG then it is a great price - my KKKK is big enough but you may like a larger pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I sold this G Sea Rock to a member on another forum for $150 it was mint. The Secondhand Smoker sells on commission, he won't budge on that price.

Recently, I sold this KKKK Shape 65 to Mike at BriarBlues for $150 (he resold it for $175). I was looking for a quick turnover, $175 was a very fair asking price.

I think that is a bit high for a Sea Rock finish.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The price is certainly a good one, and I'd be willing to buy it if I wanted a GG. the KKK is more my size, but there's no question that the price is right. The only real question is is it right for you, and you're the only one who can answer.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Corey:
A Castello Sea Rock is on my "get" list and yours buzzes every one of my buttons: length, breadth and depth. (Man, I love a classic billiard.)
Still, the price is more than a bit high.
But, if it's "your" pipe, then buy it, stick that beauty in your piehole and the hell with it.
It'll either accelerate in value or auger in doing a spin, crash and burn. If it makes you happy, and you can afford it, then make the purchase and enjoy it for the rest of your life. On the other hand, if you're scratching an itch then put your feet in the blocks and run like mad when the gun goes off.
Fnord

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks everyone for the advice and words of wisdom, i appreciate it. I kind of knew it would come down to "is it really worth it to you" and "do you really want it THAT bad" in the end, as the worth of anything is the value one person, or society as a whole, places on it. Like i said, i did the extensive research as i always do when bidding on a pipe, there is too much information at your fingertips not to, and know exactly how much they cost new and estate but pristine condition. I think it was an ok deal, but not a "dude, you are crazy, buy it because that is basically a STEAL for that pipe". Overall, i decided to pass it up and let someone else who HAD to have the pipe in their collection buy it. There will ALWAYS be another deal to be had and pipe to be bought, if i've learned one thing, it is that. I have a custom commissioned Mark Tinsky with matching tamper being made as i type this, which i am more than stoked to get my hands on. That should hold my PAD over for a little while, hopefully. Hopefully, lol.
Again, thanks to everyone for helping me out with the decision and i'm glad i did the responsible thing in this situation and walked away. PAD, for once, did not get the best of me! It can be done!

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Shame you didn't buy it, it's a beautiful pipe. Maybe I will then. I can just imagine the lovely feel of that bowl.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Good idea to wait until you found "your" pipe. I found a Castello Sea Rock I had to have last year and I bought it even though I had to pay a little more than I was hoping to spend. They are fantastic pipes. When the right ones come along, you'll know and you'll buy without hesitation and enjoy! The good thing is it is never long before the next pipe comes along...

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Anglesey, i say go for it! I just declined the offer and told him to let me know if he ever decided to come down on the price, but thanks for considering my offer. I hope whoever gets it enjoys the hell out of it, because it is a fantastic looking pipe for sure, i just don't have $270 bones laying around right now. Plus, i love big pipes and already own a few of them, but i would probably be happier with a kkk or kkkk sized castello. There is never a shortage of them floating around.
Broth, yep you are right and like i said, a custom Tinsky is being made right now for me, so hopefully this will be "my" pipe! Tinsky sure makes some damn fine pipes for a much more reasonable price. Not to say the Castello's aren't worth it, but their stellar and well earned reputation over the decades contributes to the price as well. Thanks for the advice brother.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
For unsmoked, it is a good price. You can likely find a better one if you hunt for an estate, though that is a more English style billiard than Castello usually makes.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Looks not appealing to me at all. Castello offer good smokers, but far bigger and far less elegant than Dunhill. They look like casual free hands. I mean too few of them would continuously have your appreciation. And GG is quite a monster pipe. Nice to see you hold the click.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
layin, that was a huge pipe and very heavy. What types of tobacco do you smoke? I would think about that when buying a pipe. I only smoke flakes and I clench so a pipe like that would be no good for me. I think you can find great estate castello's SR's all day for 150-175. Castello's to me are the best factory pipe on the market. I have owned several over the years and everyone smoked cool and dry and was a pleasure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I missed the fact that it was unsmoked. In that state, that was a good price. FWIW, my G was way too big, which was a shame as I loved the shape and the way it smoked. Same for the 4K #65. A 2k or 3k size seems about right for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.