PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Ok, I will admit I now own this one. I am a horse-racing nut and own, along with one of my partners, three race horses. So when I saw this pipe, I simply couldn't resist. I told my wife that this is the 10th anniversary present she should get me, and she made the purchase. I plan on taking this to the track for the next race. According to the smokingpipes website:
The "il Cavallo di Castello" was a special, 125-pipe edition created in 2011, dedicated to the horse as a symbol of both earthly and spiritual power, and the exhilaration and feeling of liberty found in practicing the art of riding. Suffice to say, these briars, each bearing a special, series-specific silver band, are not exactly easy to find. Truth be told, even though they were produced two years ago this is still the first and only example we've ever seen.
Length: 5.81 in./147.57 mm.

Weight: 1.70 oz./48.19 g.

Bowl Height: 1.98 in./50.29 mm.

Chamber Depth: 1.65 in./41.91 mm.

Chamber Diameter: 0.79 in./20.07 mm.

Outside Diameter: 1.39 in./35.31 mm.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Ooooh, I saw that one. That is gorgeous. If you're into horses, that is the Castello to have. Absolute beauty. That'll be a great one to smoke on Derby Day! :clap:
Happy Anniversary!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Sweet pipe, great gift, Happy 10th, we'll be having our 39th in 3 weeks maybe I should be looking what my wife should buy me for our 40th!
rolleyes.png

Dec 24, 2012
Fish, by all means get her to buy one. Don't make the mistake I did of letting her choose the pipe. Last time I did that she came back with a pipe that I was not a fan of (and she was worried she spent $90!) I have had to smoke that pipe and pretend I like it for some time now, lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, very cool looking pipe, congrats. So are any of your horses decedents of Secretariat, Man O War or Affirmed? Or is it an offspring of Mr Ed?

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, all three of our horses are descendants of Northern Dancer, which is Canada's greatest race horse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Dancer Now, that doesn't say much since a good chunk of the thoroughbreds in the country can say that. Northern Dancer made the rounds, if you catch my drift. He is considered the most successful sire of the 20th century, based on the winnings of his offspring.
A couple of years ago we bred one of our most successful mares after she developed leg problems. We went for the breeding and made an afternoon of it, I kid you not. Just so you know, artificial insemination is not allowed to be considered a thoroughbred. So we chose the daddy (a very successful former race horse, and an offspring of Northern Dancer), paid the fee, and when our horse went into heat they brought daddy into her stall. He was going nuts before they brought him in. They were joking that they were worried he would tear her apart, lol. Quite a thing to see. And no candlelight dinner or jewellery was involved. I wish I was a racehorse put out to stud. Good work if you can get it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
We have something in common besides pipes, Peck. Ahh, the Great Northern Dancer. Held the Kentucky Derby record of 2:00 flat (I think), until Secretariat broke it in 1973. As a matter of fact, I think Secretariat's swan song race was somewhere in Canada.
I held a part time gig during racing season as the track announcer at Manor Downs (class two track near Austin, Texas) for 18 years. The best part of that gig was being all alone up in the track announcer's tower for 6-7 hours on Saturdays and Sundays being able to smoke my pipe and watch the horses. Man, I miss that job and your post brought back a lot of great memories.
Pipestud
PS... Oops, almost forgot. Nice Castello!

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks guys. No worry pipe stud, that is interesting to know. I could talk horses all day. What you had sounds like my dream job.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Peck:
Rarity aside, that is one beautiful pipe.
I tried to bring up the design on the rondel underneath the horse head with no luck. What is it?
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love seeing those commemorative Castello silver bands - I wonder who does that work for them? You will look pretty sporty at the rack with that one!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Peck my father was a jockey on Cajun straight tracks, his godchild who is a lawyer in Houston got a group together and bought my Aunts farm and went in the thorobreed business, when the tax dollars turned from raceing to breeding they started a breeding farm, Cajuns have always had horse raceing In their blood, every little community had a straight track and the week-end was Races and Bets and food and Beer. E Sou Partie!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Fantastic Castello Peck. I'm sure that's a very limited edition and will always be a hard to find pipe. I'm also enjoying all the Info that you bring to the forum regarding horses and racing. :clap:

Dec 24, 2012
Pipestud, you are a fountain of knowledge. I looked it up and Secretariat's last race was indeed at Woodbine racetrack in Toronto, which is where our horses race out of. Unfortunately, Secretariat was a bit of a bust as a sire.

Status
Not open for further replies.