PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Here we go again, trying to keep the PAD at bay....not sure I will win this fight
castellosearockambillard2k-600x233.jpg

Bowl diameter: 1,26 inch

Chamber diameter: 0,75 inch

Chamber depth: 1,50 inch

Height: 1,85 inch

Length: 5,94 inch

Weight: 0,95 oz

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That is a GREAT Castello. The small military billiards are some of my favorites from Castello. They are rare because Castello tends to do big pipes. That piece is only 27 grams and the stem is very very very comfortable to clinch. I wouldn't hesitate one minute. PAD be damned.
Here is mine for comparison next to an Eltang poker. I LOVE this little Castello and it is always in my "Travel" set. Great 30-45 minute smoker.
pXewuteyZFGtFEmr5joa92Yfv-HErClWqoEg8IRLUoA

Jul 12, 2011
I'm really digging it, like the (KK) Billard lines from Castello
My first Castello was this one, snagged it about two months ago as an early bday gift to myself, love the way it smokes - smoking it right now and have a bowl of GLP's JackKnife RR going, a perfect match for sure
castello-searockbilliard-kk.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
My first Castello was this one,

That one is awesome looking. The closest thing I have are two Ardors which I love, but Castello is definitely on my PAD list. The stem is really cool too.

Must resist temptation!! :)

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Aquadoc, "Sea Rock" is just Castello's name for their rusticated finish, as their sandblasts are "Old Antiquari". Lots of copies out there, but most other companies will call their finishes by some other name - Radice has "Bark" and "Underwood" carved finishes, for example, Caminetto has "New Dear", on and on. Just a way to sell a pipe. Saying "This block had poor grain and pits so we textured it" would be more honest!
Here's my wee man doing battle with some Club Blend.

j8AKIW5.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Aquadoc, "Sea Rock" is just Castello's name for their rusticated finish, as their sandblasts are "Old Antiquari". Lots of copies out there, but most other companies will call their finishes by some other name - Radice has "Bark" and "Underwood" carved finishes, for example, Caminetto has "New Dear", on and on. Just a way to sell a pipe. Saying "This block had poor grain and pits so we textured it" would be more honest!
I love and collect Castello Sea Rock Pipes. IMO, The worse briar makes the best Sea Rocks. Most rusticated pipes get a surface carving where the better Sea Rocks have the pits and fissures gouged out. This under carving is then worked around with the tool and you get that craggy look with little smooth spots surrounded with the carving. The best really look like a lichen covered Sea Rock. Most brands don't get it but two that come to mind that do are Rousch and Butera. 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Savinelli's Capri rustication is similar. Looks natural and untooled. Had a Sea Rock egg years ago, and loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.