Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Castello pipe

(26 posts)
  1. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just received my new (estate) Costello bent pipe. Although the bowl is larger than the other Dunhill's I have it feels great in my hand and in my mouth.
    Tried a bowl late this afternoon through my ride home and it smokes wonderfully.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39k2w6hwgorp8lw/IMG_00001.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/80y8pbjn6tpte70/IMG_00002.jpg

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

robertleslie

Login to Send PM

Beautiful. I bet she is a smoker. I want one

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice one Allan! Costello makes great pipes. I wish I liked Lucite more {sigh}.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is one beauty of a pipe.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee,I didn't know it was lucite. How does one tell lucite vs. Vulcanite?

allan

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mthanded

mthanded

Login to Send PM

That's a really nice looking grain on that pipe and I like the shape. Good purchase!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe Allan! Way to go!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dnietosi

dnietosi

Login to Send PM

Never had a Costello but it looks beautiful!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Gee,I didn't know it was lucite. How does one tell lucite vs. Vulcanite?

Vulcanite is black, lucite is not. Vulcanite feels softer to touch, lucite is like hard plastic.
    Your pipe's stem has some white spots on it in the first photo but I think it is vulcanite and those white spots are dust or something?

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A "Castello" grade Castello, great choice! I love the briar military stem trim and the 4K size, just right! While I prefer vulcanite myself, my Castello stems have a certain appeal as well. Enjoy that one!

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

White spots are just light reflections-the stem is solid black.

Are Castello's known for lucite stems? I have Dunhills which have (I guess) vulcanite stems, and really I'm not sure how to tell the difference?

thanks for the kind words, everyone

Allan

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

I don't really know of a single Castello pipe with a vulcanite stem.
    If the stem has an inlaid white bit it's lucite. Otherwise it might be a replacement stem.
    Vulcanite is a softer material. If you have another pipe do compare the lucite and vulcanite stems; you will understand the difference.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless I am out to lunch, black stems can be made out of lucite.

Truth be told, I can't tell any difference between lucite and vulcanite in terms of feel. Granted, I am a clencher and so I use the soft rubber things to protect the stem which probably makes me insensitive to the difference, but I certainly have seen many black stems that must be lucite. Frankly, given the maintenance issues with vulcanite, I would probably choose lucite, all other things being equal. Just my view.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Unless I am out to lunch, black stems can be made out of lucite.

Yes you are right, my bad.

Truth be told, I can't tell any difference between lucite and vulcanite in terms of feel. Granted, I am a clencher and so I use the soft rubber things

Take that off and you will be able to tell the difference.

I like the feel of vulcanite stems myself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may be weird but I can usually tell the difference between the two by smell, especially after any sort of cleaning involving alcohol. I much prefer the smell of vulcanite but they both feel fine to me. I don't find it to be a deal breaker if it doesn't have my preferred stem material.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. pipedreamer

pipedreamer

Login to Send PM

Thats a nice looking pipe. Enjoy!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Allan, glad to hear you like the pipe. Castello only uses acrylic stems. If you put your Rad Davis in your mouth and then the Castello, you can tell instantly, the Rad will be way softer.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know, I've never really noticed or took special notice of the stem 'feel' between the Dunhill's and other pipes. I am assuming my Dunhill's have vulcanite/amberlite stems; now that I know that Rad Davis pipes are vulcanite and the Castello is acrylic I'm going to take notice.

Does anyone actually prefer the acrylic feel, ignoring the maintenance issue?

Allan

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Does anyone actually prefer the acrylic feel, ignoring the maintenance issue?

It's no secret I prefer rubber (vulcanite) stems. I just like the mouth feel better. However, I can well understand that some much prefer plastic (Lucite) stems.

After all, Lucite, like vulcanite, can be hand cut, and Lucite stem rods are offered in many more colors and designs which opens up the creative options for both the maker and the buyer (though both materials also do come as mass produced molded stems).

Lucite is also a lot less maintenance than vulcanite (rubber dulls more easily; older vulcanite will oxidize quickly; and Lucite is stronger so bite through is less of a problem).

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thanks for taking the pix. I love looking at beautiful pipes and women.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally will never buy another pipe with an acrylic stem. I prefer vulcanite way more. The new vulcanite does not oxidize like the old suffer laden ones. I would also suggest getting Obidisian Stem Oil, it works great at keeping the rubber stems pretty.

I still smoke my acrylic stemmed pipes but do not enjoy them as much as my vulcanite ones.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I travel a lot with my pipes and need a mix of vulcanite/acrylic pipes on my rack. I don't like teeth marks on my stems but hate rubber softy tips. I handsmoke at home and don't clench my vulcanite stemmmed pipes. On the road, car events, etc. an acrylic stem is nice to clench and not worry about damaging. My Castellos and new Jimmy Craig Ashtons (one Tinsky)fit that bill nicely. Variety, the spice of life!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

The pipe is a beauty. It looks relaxing. I love the shape of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice Castello! I don't mind the acrylic at all and prefer Castello's over all other brands of pipes I have smoked. That is a beauty for sure! Congrats!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Castellos. They are fantastic, high-grade pipes. (And that's a beauty you picked up!)

I feel like putting in my .02 regarding stems, though. I've noticed that a lot of folks -- even online sellers -- identify lucite as acrylic. That may technically be accurate, I don't know the science differentiating these two materials, but I don't think it's helpful.

Vulcanite is rubber; we all agree on that. It can easily "cloud" and get discolored at the bit.

Lucite is a hard, usually black plastic that can be hand-carved and result in a thinner mouthpiece than Vulcanite. It is glossy and will always be glossy. It is more resistant to teeth marks, but that's because it also doesn't "give" very much when clenched in the mouth. For some, that might make it a bit more uncomfortable to hold for long periods.

An acrylic stem is thicker, colored, molded plastic. You see them on some GBDs, a lot of older Caminettos, and virtually every meerschaum. They can become a bit dull, but they never discolor like a Vulcanite stem. They don't "give" at all when clenched by the teeth.

(Finally, there's simple plastic, like what you'd find on a corncob. With a little effort, you can chew your way through a cheap plastic stem.)

Feel free to disagree! But these are the definitions I was raised on, and I think they're still useful today.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe -Congrats! I don't own a Castello but I like Italian pipes and do hope to have one someday.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ducat2, darthcider, carytobacco, rsuninv, mcitinner1, sparks, peckinpahhombre, ae1pt, briarfriar, pruss, andystewart, allan, morton, tallguy, buzkirk, pitchfork, apiperisdown, samcoffeeman, wyfbane