PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned numerous Castello's in the past and loved how everyone of them smoked. I got away from them when I took a break from my pipes and kind of stayed away because I have fallen in love with vulcanite stems. I have been watching as GTWBass aka Chris continue to buy his Castello's and he gave me the itch. I have had numerous high grade Castello's in the past but never a COLLECTION GRADE OCCHIO DI PERNICE. I have always loved their birdseye which is what they are famous for and a Dublin as many of you know is probably my favorite shape. So when I found this shape 37 on Ebay, I decided to go after it. Retail for these run for 600-700.00 so when I was able to grab this for 184.00 delivered, I was very pleased. It is a sold group 5 and should be a great smoker.
KGrHqJq4FDnB9KCeTBRDC4P7hcg60_57_zpsdfeea6d7.jpg

KGrHqNqsFEFfym0o5BRDC3-nwLg60_57_zps90245394.jpg

KGrHqZh4FDk-oK8NBRDC4gYhg60_57_zps689351d7.jpg

KGrHqJhgFDYyp5PgfBRDC4wl2Cg60_571_zpse6e899a9.jpg

KGrHqVlcFDyriJVW3BRDC5RUJSQ60_571_zpsbd5e0247.jpg

KGrHqZpFEELFc9ywBRDC5By0Q60_57_zps26e900a3.jpg

KGrHqFn8FD-iRSlgCBRDC5ghG3g60_57_zpscc9df996.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys,it is appreciated.
roth, you are so right. Most people I guess thought that this one was just a plain old Dublin if they did not take the time to really look at the pictures. The first couple did not really show off the birdseye and if they did not understand what an Ocho is, they would not have looked further to see if it is a typical one which has great birdseye. I also think I got this one cheap because of the shape, lot's of people are not into Dublins( which is good for me) and shape number 37 is a pretty rare one which may have also dissuaded people. I had never seen this shape myself even though I use to collect Castello's years ago. I did have one higher grade back in the day which was a Collection Fiammata in shape number 49. What really caught my eye on this pipe was the fact that the birdseye was great on both sides, because I have seen others where one side is great but the other is just so so. For example this one at smokingpipes http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=107696
has the nice birdseye on the left side but not as good on the right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks Chris, I do have you to thank. I really would have not started looking at Castello's again if you had not been showing yours off. I definitely have the Castello itch again.

Dec 24, 2012
Nice pick up harris. I have a 13 castellos and they are all fantastic. Of these, a few are fiammatas which, like you, I picked up at a fraction of their original sale price.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I was speaking to Mike at Briar Blues before I purchased this about the prices on smooth Castello's and he was explaining that right now they are the best deals out there percentage wise off of retail. Like you mentioned the carved Castello's are bringing way more money than they should and the smooths are flat and coming down in prices. I had a price limit on this pipe set at 200.00, Mike said the high number was 225.00 in today's market. I got lucky in what I paid, but even at the 225.00 it would have normally been cheap. Years ago this pipe would have fetched mid 350's -400.00 easily. It is an interesting situation that I do not think is strictly a Castello thing. I have noticed Rad's smooth pipes sell for less than his blasted ones on Ebay. I think people in general are looking for great looking blasts over grain right now.
Thanks Peck and K9.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I watched that one and and was surprised it stopped at your bid, what a nice grab! I was hoping that was your winning bid. My next Castello will also be a smooth finish pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, when it comes to rad estates, the blast prices are usually in the 200-250 range except when 2 or 3 ebay no reserve guys are involved. Then the prices jump to 300-400 which is totally inflated, coincidence...I think not. Here is an example of a great looking Rad that in my opinion was priced fairly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281058092586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I have not really been watching Castello carved prices but have heard they are high, and of course Dunhill is normally overpriced.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Well, Harris I can't believe you bought a lucite stem pipe!
You know that I have always maintained that a smooth polished is way more beautiful than any rusticated blasted inferior finish :):):)
Congrats on a beautiful acquisition . Are you going to smoke it or just look at it??
Good luck next week
Allan

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations Harris on your new pipe. I hope a pleasurable smoke can take your thoughts temporarily away from your pain with the kidney stones. I hope all goes well for your procedure Monday.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Fantastic buy Harris. Nice to run across a gem like that and feel like you stole it. :P

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, if I had my choice I would buy more pipes like this with gorgeous birdseye. I still love a great ring grain blast, but this is what really floats my boat. I will definitely be smoking this after I fondle it for a while. lol
roth, I don't think I have the power to move estate prices on ebay and the online dealers, at least I hope not. lol
Bradley, thanks buddy, it will definitely look great in the rack next to my other Dublins.
Doug, thanks, Monday will hopefully go well.
Mustang, I love getting a good deal. I honestly never thought I would score an Ocho for this kind of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.