Castello Collection Grade Occhio Di Pernice Dublin

(51 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have owned numerous Castello's in the past and loved how everyone of them smoked. I got away from them when I took a break from my pipes and kind of stayed away because I have fallen in love with vulcanite stems. I have been watching as GTWBass aka Chris continue to buy his Castello's and he gave me the itch. I have had numerous high grade Castello's in the past but never a COLLECTION GRADE OCCHIO DI PERNICE. I have always loved their birdseye which is what they are famous for and a Dublin as many of you know is probably my favorite shape. So when I found this shape 37 on Ebay, I decided to go after it. Retail for these run for 600-700.00 so when I was able to grab this for 184.00 delivered, I was very pleased. It is a sold group 5 and should be a great smoker.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

Very Nice Pick up!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats! That is gorgeous. The grain and shape. And it's a nice size too.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

Beautiful. The grain is superb.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Most people looking on eBay for high-end pipes have no idea what a Collection Grade Occhio di Pernice is. And the picture shown when someone is scrolling though the pipes appears to all the world to be a rather plain ol' dublin.

WTG Harris, classic case of how you took the time to learn the history and background of Costello, took that information and used the patience again to find what you wanted, and knew how to get a $700, in near perfect condition, for $184.

Patience is huge in this hobby Well done!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys,it is appreciated.

roth, you are so right. Most people I guess thought that this one was just a plain old Dublin if they did not take the time to really look at the pictures. The first couple did not really show off the birdseye and if they did not understand what an Ocho is, they would not have looked further to see if it is a typical one which has great birdseye. I also think I got this one cheap because of the shape, lot's of people are not into Dublins( which is good for me) and shape number 37 is a pretty rare one which may have also dissuaded people. I had never seen this shape myself even though I use to collect Castello's years ago. I did have one higher grade back in the day which was a Collection Fiammata in shape number 49. What really caught my eye on this pipe was the fact that the birdseye was great on both sides, because I have seen others where one side is great but the other is just so so. For example this one at smokingpipes http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=107696

has the nice birdseye on the left side but not as good on the right.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outstanding purchase Harris. That is a beautiful Castello!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Chris, I do have you to thank. I really would have not started looking at Castello's again if you had not been showing yours off. I definitely have the Castello itch again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

What I also find a bit odd, but certainly interesting, is the estate Castello Sea Rock and some Old Antiquari entry pipes are going up in price, sometimes bordering on crazy money and they're not even Old Sea Rocks.

It's somewhat amusing to read "vintage" on these, because enrty Costello estate pipes are all impossible to date.

At the same time, Costello's higher end estate pipes, such as the Fiammata and Collection Occhio di Pernice have remained somewhat flat (steady) in price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I love Costellos, but I have a couple rather high end Italian pipes I purchased recently (a Sav & Pipa Croci) and they're great, except for the Lucite stems.

OK, the stems are hand cut, they look great and stay pretty longer without much maintenance, BUT ... the mouth feel is horrible -- every time one of those damn plastic stems slips a bit between my teeth and I get ash all over the desk or, worse, myself, I curse the damn plastic -- ugh.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pick up harris. I have a 13 castellos and they are all fantastic. Of these, a few are fiammatas which, like you, I picked up at a fraction of their original sale price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

k9shag

Login to Send PM

Excellent grab. I love the grain on that pipe. I am sure it will be a great smoke for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, I was speaking to Mike at Briar Blues before I purchased this about the prices on smooth Castello's and he was explaining that right now they are the best deals out there percentage wise off of retail. Like you mentioned the carved Castello's are bringing way more money than they should and the smooths are flat and coming down in prices. I had a price limit on this pipe set at 200.00, Mike said the high number was 225.00 in today's market. I got lucky in what I paid, but even at the 225.00 it would have normally been cheap. Years ago this pipe would have fetched mid 350's -400.00 easily. It is an interesting situation that I do not think is strictly a Castello thing. I have noticed Rad's smooth pipes sell for less than his blasted ones on Ebay. I think people in general are looking for great looking blasts over grain right now.

Thanks Peck and K9.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

nice pipe!!!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's funny because many of those Costello "blasts" are actually rustications, which places the rustications a peg down or a peg up from a good blast, depending in the beholder/buyer.

Anyway, what's happening with Costello estates is like Dunhills. And right now (I blame you, Harris LOL) there's a run on Rad Davis. Are they inflated? IMO, yes -- absolutely. Are they worth the money? Many are not, IMO.

Except for the rare exception, in my view, no Dunhill estate has a value of more than $500; most = $200-$300 or so. Rad David estates = $200, $300 max. But that's me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I watched that one and and was surprised it stopped at your bid, what a nice grab! I was hoping that was your winning bid. My next Castello will also be a smooth finish pipe.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, homerun AGAIN..........

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, when it comes to rad estates, the blast prices are usually in the 200-250 range except when 2 or 3 ebay no reserve guys are involved. Then the prices jump to 300-400 which is totally inflated, coincidence...I think not. Here is an example of a great looking Rad that in my opinion was priced fairly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281058092586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have not really been watching Castello carved prices but have heard they are high, and of course Dunhill is normally overpriced.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, Harris I can't believe you bought a lucite stem pipe!

You know that I have always maintained that a smooth polished is way more beautiful than any rusticated blasted inferior finish :):):)

Congrats on a beautiful acquisition . Are you going to smoke it or just look at it??

Good luck next week

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Looks like we're on the same page re: estate pricing, Harris. My comment on the Costello smooths, while under the radar and underpriced ATM, may float upward as more people see posts like this one

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The grain is beautiful, but what rings my bell is the shape, classic beyond words. You done good Harris. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations Harris on your new pipe. I hope a pleasurable smoke can take your thoughts temporarily away from your pain with the kidney stones. I hope all goes well for your procedure Monday.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fantastic buy Harris. Nice to run across a gem like that and feel like you stole it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Allan, if I had my choice I would buy more pipes like this with gorgeous birdseye. I still love a great ring grain blast, but this is what really floats my boat. I will definitely be smoking this after I fondle it for a while. lol

roth, I don't think I have the power to move estate prices on ebay and the online dealers, at least I hope not. lol

Bradley, thanks buddy, it will definitely look great in the rack next to my other Dublins.

Doug, thanks, Monday will hopefully go well.

Mustang, I love getting a good deal. I honestly never thought I would score an Ocho for this kind of money.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

roth, I don't think I have the power to move estate prices on ebay and the online dealers, at least I hope not. lol

Well the unproven rumor, believed by many, is that you control the availability of, and have first dibs on, many increasingly rare and beloved pipe tobacco blends at a plethora of on line vendors.

Thus, if this is to be believed, it's not a stretch to think that your buying habits and that effect on estate prices, for certain makers' pipes, is nearly upon us.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a nice lookin' pipe! Love the birdseye and the shape!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Wow...just wow! Need there be more said

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, nice snag. The shape is exquisite and of course the birds eye... Congrats. I've had the Castello "itch" for a while now. If they continue to go for these kinds of prices, it' won't be long before I pull the trigger. Thanks for sharing the picctures -- it's a beauty for sure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, lololol, that is funny. I will admit to having a little to do with the shortage of certain blends on the market and maybe a slight increase in Rad's numbers but I do not think I will be able to move the needle when it comes to prices on ebay.

Thanks guys.

Pitchfork, scratch that itch, here is a beauty from the same seller I got mine.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASTELLO-COLLECTION-GRADE-GREAT-LINE-FIAMMATA-WITH-PLATEAU-TOP-/221186851378?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337fc38232

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. smokedragon

smokedragon

Login to Send PM

Man is that bird's eye gorgeous.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitchfork, scratch that itch, here is a beauty from the same seller I got mine.

LOL! That's a Great Line Fiammata -- another beauty, but I'm betting it goes way higher than $185. I do have a couple hundred bucks worth of pipes for sale on ebay at the moment. Hmmmm....? Of course, those are supposed to pay for the pipes I already bought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Chris, I do have you to thank. I really would have not started looking at Castello's again if you had not been showing yours off. I definitely have the Castello itch again.

Well while I maintain that my Sea Rocks and Vergens are so pretty(to me anyway) as rusticated pipes are my favorites, there is however, no denying that your new Castello is gorgeous. I hope it gives you a lifetime of pleasurable smokes and becomes a close companion while you are recuperating from surgery.

Now, I will now have to keep an eye out for the Occhio Di Pernice(Eye of the partridge). Thank's a lot buddy! Actually I have been eyeing this one from Mike for a while. If no one buys it soon, I may have to give it a go.

Castello - Occhio Di Pernice From Briar Blues

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Deals are out there, you just have to know where to look. A member on another forum just bought this Vergin G Lumberman for under $200, a pretty unusual Castello shape.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ESTATE-CASTELLO-NATURAL-VERGIN-G-LUMBERMAN-W-REGISTRATION-NUMBER-/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/z/FGoAAMXQH-pRCwqt/$T2eC16NHJGYE9nooh,YSBRCwqs8Egw~~60_57.JPG

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. surlysoul

surlysoul

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe. I too really like the shape.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That birdseye is where its at. Congrats harris.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eye of the Peacock. Love that shape and pipe, Harris. Extremely good deal.
    One of these days I will own a Castello.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beutiful pipe, awesome shape, and great price!

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

/Well the unproven rumor, believed by many, is that you control the availability of, and have first dibs on, many increasingly rare and beloved pipe tobacco blends at a plethora of on line vendors.[quote]

Harris, I have a feeling that Roth's supposition is correct; you have a hand in changing pricing on availability of pipes.

You have certainly converted me to several of your suggested brands.

Allan

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both of those pipes were listed and sold by my friend Mike Reschke from Chicago. He is the most knowledgeable collector of Parker Pipes in the USA and also has many other brands of pipes that he enjoys. That cross grain Occhio is magnificent. I am very surprised that it didn't bring in a much higher price. Congrats on a steal IMO. Like rothnh stated, these pipes retail nowadays for $685 for a K grain. KK and up to KKKK are even more expensive. Super pipe for sure.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys.

Chris, that poker is outstanding looking, it has your name written all over it. lol

Doc, I was also shocked I got this one so cheap, I really thought it would go in the 300 range. I think the shape is not a classic Castello one so people must have just bypassed it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Both of those pipes were listed and sold by my friend Mike Reschke from Chicago. He is the most knowledgeable collector of Parker Pipes in the USA and also has many other brands of pipes that he enjoys. That cross grain Occhio is magnificent. I am very surprised that it didn't bring in a much higher price. Congrats on a steal IMO. Like rothnh stated, these pipes retail nowadays for $685 for a K grain. KK and up to KKKK are even more expensive. Super pipe for sure.

Good to know Andy, Mike has some great pipes and I'll definitely save him as a seller.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

For the less familiar here.

If you're into, or thinking of delving into, high end pipes, it's hugely important to learn as much as possible about what you're looking for, what you're looking at, and as much as you can glean about the ever-changing market for these pipes. Also, as Al intimates, knowing the sellers helps a great deal.

Doing the heavy lifting up front (Harris' Costello here as an example) can easily mean a difference of hundreds of dollars in the purchase price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I received the Ocho yesterday and I am smoking it as I type. The stem is fairly comfortable, not as hard as some acrylic ones in my collection but not as comfortable as my vulcanite. The button design is very good, it clenches easily and since the pipe is so light, I am enjoying it. I had forgotten how well a Castello smokes( I now remember why I used to collect them), the large airway makes it smoke itself which is what I love about my artisan pipes. It is smoking cool and dry and it will never need a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture. The pipe was immaculate and no hint of a previous ghost. I am smoking some Astleys no. 44 Dark Flake and it tastes great. I am very happy that I bought this and the grain is even prettier in person. This will not be my last Castello, they are just too good a value to pass up.

If anyone has never smoked a Castello, I highly recommend them, they are in my opinion the best smoking factory pipe on the market.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome back to Castello's Harris. I am so glad you like your new Ocho! You picked a great tobacco to christen her as your own also I might add.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Not surprised that Costello smokes well; as noted it sure is pretty. Good to hear you're enjoying it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Chris, I definitely have you to thank, it was your buying them that got the itch back for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, this thread got me to troll through my Castellos a few nights ago, only to realize that I actually have two COLLECTION GRADE OCCHIO DI PERNICEs. I didn't even know that those were a higher grade castello. Beautiful pipes. I am going to have to study up on my castello nomenclature when I get a chance

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, my memory knew they smoked great from years ago, but it is interesting how smoking this one re ignited those memories. I do not think I appreciate them back then because I was so new to smoking a pipe.

Peck, you need to throw up some pics of those Ocho's, I would love to see them. They are one of the highest grade Castello's you can buy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is on my list to do. I want to do a photo shoot of all my pipes. The wife is a photographer so she will be doing the shooting. Just need to find the time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outstanding pipe my brother, and I was eye'in that other one from
    SP.com , glad someone else got it first

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, tell the wife to drop everything until your pipes are photographed, I don't like to be kept waiting.

Thanks smoking, grain like these Ocho's does call a person for sure.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jimbo69, rockytopva, beefeater33, twoonefive, anthonyrosenthal74, ddavid, jon11, pitchfork, gunslinger, cobguy, ocpsdan, bwhiteside, mphstteach, cwspook, mso489, torque, kanada, smokeybear, pflan, cosmicfolklore, deathandtaxes, ghost, skapunk1, lestrout