PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Good Day All;
I've always wanted to get a briar pipe with a fitted case. Be it a single, double, triple etc. Right now Rodrigo from treasurepipes, has some GBD's and a Comoy that fit that want. I am wondering / guessing at what they might fetch and looking at my finances and trying to figure out if there is one that I should "chase". Anyone have any ideas of what they might sell for?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/treasurepipes/m.html?item=382309713408&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
You will find them within the treasurepipes items for sale.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
comoys3-600x474.jpg

The easiest one to say I WOULD NOT bid on is the Comoy's. What is that stem material on the billiard? They've all been topped, the Bulldog, it looks quite severely, to the point that the shape looks completely wrong.
Those three pipes did not start out as a cased set.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The bulldog looks like it lost ca. 1/4" to 3/8", but the other two look ok to my amateur eye as far as not being topped more than a millimeter or two.
This view might help:
s-l1600.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Comoy set does give me pause. The fit of pipes to case leaves me wondering. May have been topped, certainly the bulldog was, and that stem material looks like a later amberoid replacement. With old pipes it's not always easy to know what is real and what is not. You have to have it in hand to really inspect the pipes. I quite like the GBD and BBB offerings. Rodrigo must have gotten hold of a very nice collection. The ornate wind screens on the calabashes are very cool, but the amber on the calabash with the ornately engraved wind screen looks like it is cracked, or at least crazed where it meets the ferrule.
Pricing is really difficult to target, as so much depends on who's bidding. The cased GBD companion sets could see anything from $300 to $600 more or less. I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on the Comoy.
I'm watching that cased set of Barling's though I have no intention of bidding on it. I'm curious to see what it goes for. Individually none of those Barlings is top drawer, and I suspect that these were cased for a customer, rather than having been released by the factory as such.
A great week for Britwood fanciers on eBay!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
A lot of those cased pipes, the GBD's, Barling's and Comoy's came from the Tony Soderman estate. I remember gawking at that cased trio of Barling's Make pipes at a Kansas City Pipe Show. I can't remember the year, but Tony had 11 of those 8-foot tables set up and they were full to the rafters with incredible old wood - mostly English. I don't remember the shape number, Sable would know, but Tony had a 36 hole rack filled with those Barling's extra long Fossil Canadians. I asked Tony how much it would cost me to just smoke a bowl out of each one. He smiled and said "Way more than you can afford, Pipestud."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm also watching a number of those recently listed items. I wish there were better close-up photos.

In general, prices seem down to me, and most of those are so unusual, the range could be quite broad.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I don't remember the shape number, Sable would know, but Tony had a 36 hole rack filled with those Barling's extra long Fossil Canadians.

They where his LF and LLF's and he was very proud of that collection. His house and furnishings were out of the late 60's and in perfect condition. He had two rooms filled with his pipe collections. Just the racks and cabinets were impressive not including the showpieces that he displayed at shows just the scores of old English firsts were a sight to see and all in "rare and pristine" condition. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.