PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I just finished making my first pipe, a Freehand. A month ago, my father brought me a raw block of briar that the head of his Mason's lodge gave to him. The original owner, had the block for over 30 years, and just never got around to carving it. My father is also a pipe smoker, but doesn't have the patience for carving, so he passed the briar on to me. I looked at the block for several weeks, and last Monday, I finally said "What the hell?"
I did most of the shaping with a pneumatic micro drum sander. Then I worked with knives, rasps, files, sandpaper, tripoli, and finally carnauba. The stem came in today, and I just finished fitting, buffing, and polishing it minutes ago...done!
Tomorrow, the big test, its first smoke.
freehand-1-600x450.jpg

freehand-2-600x450.jpg

freehand-3-600x450.jpg

freehand-4-600x450.jpg

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
That is an amazing job for a first pipe! It looks as good as any professionally made pipe to me! Congratulations, you and your father must be proud. Let us know how it smokes, please!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That's damn fine for your first job. I'm sure if you take it up as a hobby you could easily sell them, that is if you could let them go.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Nicely done.Looks comfortable to hold and it's a great shape. Hope it a great smoker.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
That is an exceptional; pipe. Not to mention its your first carving. I'd buy a pipe that looked that nice. Make sure to let us know how she smokes, too. Kudos!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I can only echo what's been said, very well done. If it smokes as good as it looks, you've got a real success story on your hands.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Dayummmmm! That is quite a pipe for being your first one. Hope it smokes well!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Dood, that is a great looking pipe. I'm very impressed that this is your first. I hope it smokes as good as it looks for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.