Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Well with all these posts lately that I have been reading and everyone commenting on it, I broke down and grabbed some at my local drug store. My first impression was not really that good. I thought that it was alittle lifeless. It started getting better as the bowl went down. By the end of the bowl I actually found myself wanting to pack up another. This is really good stuff! Thanks to all who talk about it so much you made a believer out of me.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I hadn't had any CH for a couple weeks so this morning I opened up a cellared jar of CH and I decided to finally light up a bowl in my MM MacArthur. :puffpipe:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I still haven't tried it but it was one of my grandpa's go to smokes so I will most definitely be trying it soon. Glad to hear you like it sometimes simple is better.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
What stores typically carry CH?
I've looked for it at quite a few CVS stores and have had no luck. Same with Safeway and Harris Teeter.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
I am a big fan of CH and "chain smoke" it all the time. :P
IMO, it's good, cheap, easy to find, and pretty darn tasty to boot.
If you are looking for Carter Hall, and do not have a tobacco shop nearby, try looking at grocery stores, and gas stations for it. It seems to always be readily available in my little neck of the woods.

gnolomweb

Lurker
May 30, 2013
I find Carter Hall's assets (non-complex, easy even burning, etc) to make it perfect for adding accents of your favorite cavendish (ex McClelland Bulk: 401 - Darkest Caramel)
I buy 2oz of different cavendishes and let them marry with CH in different 8oz jars. (3to1, CH 2 Cavendish)

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
CH in a cob has a special place in my rotation. I find it nothing special in a briar. I find that I prefer it to PA and SWR. It must be the dash of the Virginia in the CH that I enjoy. I do have an issue with it where it seems to get a little moist at the end and form a ball of dottle. Anyone else notice this?

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
I love CH. When i purchased it last week, i also bought CB Royal. I found i am not an aro fan. I mixed the CB with Riverside "pipe" tobacco i had and i love it. Good aroma and the cheap stuff brings the natural tobacco flavor through.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I passed by my local smoke shop yesterday and had to pick up a box of Carter Hall. For $4 it's definitely worth a try. I'm about to light it up and see how it goes...

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
+1 on tjameson's comment. Saw CH in a local Rite Aid here in NJ, so you might check with them if they are in the DC area.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I'm in agreement with DrWatson - CH is very mild at first impression. Almost too mild. But it does settle in as one smokes it along. The marketing on the CH packaging says its qualities are "Mild", "Even Burning", "No Bite", and I agree with them all. It lit very well with the first flame, and burned nice and cool all the way through. Aroma was nothing to write home about, but wasn't offensive. What I liked was that it was extremely even burning and relaxing. A "no-fuss" kind of tobacco. I also like the idea of mixing with other types...I'll try that next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.