PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

benton629

Lurker
Nov 8, 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
I purchased some Carter Hall yesterday to see what the fuss is all about.

It is my first time with burley tobacco and really frustrating.

I tried it in two different pipes, sipped slowly, packed lightly but still ended up with a gurgling wet mess in the bottom of the bowl.

I'm drying some out on paper now and will try again this afternoon.

Anyone else experience this?

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I've only smoked 50g of CH so it's not a blend I am overly familiar with. However, I find it smokes fine. I tend to smoke it in my smaller pipes. Are your pipes properly rested? Would there be a condensation build up at the bottom of the bowl from a previous smoke?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I like to use CH as a break-in tobacco for my new pipes. I find it lights easily and smokes with little to no effort on my part. I think James may be on to something about rest time. Also, do you clean your pipes after every smoke?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Where are you smoking? Now that the weather's changing, I'm finding that I get more condensation gurgle as the steam cools in the stems when I smoke outside. Haven't had wetness issues with Burleys, but I smoke those specifically in my Mr. Brog churchwarden - small bowl, long stem. And I haven't tried Carter Hall yet at all, so no real basis for comparison there, but neither Sir Walter Raleigh or Sugar Barrel have turned into soup on me... at least not yet! :P

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'v only smoked CH a few times but, like Dan, I've found it easy to light and keep lit. I'll set the tobacco out for 15 minutes or so, then fill and pack my bowl. I ten to pack the bowl fairly tight, but keep a smooth draw.
-- Pat

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I find CH to be a dry, cool and biteless smoke. At least in my Falcon. Never tried it in anything else. In fact being a former heavy Aero fan I find it a little too dry to my preferences.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I smoke Carter Hall every day. Seems to me it is one of the easiest to smoke. It and Prince Albert just seem to smoke themselves. Never bites and always smokes clean and dry for me.

benton629

Lurker
Nov 8, 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
I clean my pipes at least daily and mop up any moisture with q-tips and paper towels.

I allow about 24 hours rest between usage but they are quite damp now.
I am smoking outside in a closed garage with the temps around 50 degrees and rainy. I suspect this has a lot to do with my problem.
I dried some Carter Hall (even nuked for a few seconds in the microwave) before this last attempt.

I smoked slowly,tamped a little more than last time, and it was better. I still get a lot of moisture in the stem that flows out when I finish and gently blow out the ash.
I am a new pipe smoker and this is my first experience with cold weather.
I'm going to set the pipe aside for another day or so and try again when the weather is drier.

Carter Hall seems drier than my other tobaccos and smokes well.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
When moisture accumulates mid smoke, I run a pipe cleaner down through the mouthpiece and down the stem. It removes that annoying gurgle.

benton629

Lurker
Nov 8, 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
Well,
I think I figured this one out.
I picked up my Dr.Grabow Duke which was unused for several days and packed it with Carter Hall.
Packed it firmly. The burley takes a little more tamping to seat it.

I lit it and tamped it as I smoked when needed.
Burned all the way to pure ash with no moisture whatsoever. Tasted great.
I think I was not packing it firmly enough in my other (bigger) pipe and therefore created an air gap under the tobacco which allowed condensation.

All other conditions were the same as earlier today.
Carter Hall is a great, simple, pure tobacco smoke that I certainly enjoy.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Benton - What else do you smoke? There is nothing that is usually goopy about CH. The only thing I can think of is that the really mild OTCs like Carter Hall can encourage you to push them a little hard and fast and you might be salivating more than normal.

benton629

Lurker
Nov 8, 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
I usually smoke Captain Black in a Vauen Basic bent brandy.

I also enjoy Frog Morton on the Bayou, Dunhill Nightcap,Escudo Navy Deluxe.
I was smoking super slow and not salivating very much. I keep an eye on that because my Savinelli bionda makes me slobber like a hound dog.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
I haven't smoked Carter Hall in a long time, don't recall it ever being overly moist or getting too goopy either.. I think I may have to pick some more up..

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 Bobpnm and leacha
CH is my "on the go" smoke and I keep a Luxury Pouch with a cob in my truck at all times.
Really been meaning to revisit PA again to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.