PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Okay, got lucky and found a pharmacy that had small pouches of CH. Took a small pinch and smoked it in an old Pete and while I found it somewhat nondescript, I can understand why many members use some to tone down their more expensive blends.
So, first question - What's a good mixture to use as a starting point? Fifty percent? Twenty-five?
Second question - Tried Captain Black Dark, for example and found it tasteless. Will a mix of CH with this bring out the vanilla notes or just mask them, so that it tastes like CH, but smells good in the room?
And what might I expect if I combine CH with say, Peterson's Irish Oak or Dunhill's London Mixture (which I did not like at all when smoked by itself)?
I'd greatly appreciate some of you English/Balkan gurus shedding some insights on these questions.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Groan... Talk about coincidences (with jfox's original thread coming up in the list right with my new one...
Sorry, but still have those additional questions.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Also, do you mix together the two tobaccos before loading the pipe? Or do you put in one, then the other on top? I am just not sure. I would lean toward mixing, since it seems to be an inexact science.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I usually mix them together before loading my pipe. However, loading one kind of tobacco on another, known as layering, can have great results. Nobody knows what you like better than you. I recommend you experiment with different proportions, tobaccos and methods. Experimentation is part of the fun of this hobby. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well, this isn't helpful but, IMO, the best think to do with both the CH and the CBD is to throw 'em both in the wastebasket. :D YMMV, of course.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Took a small pinch and smoked it in an old Pete and while I found it somewhat nondescript
@boudreaux, give it a little time, and a few bowls smoked, and you will get the flavor. This has happened to me with some tobacco blends I've first tried. After smoking a few bowls, the nuances of the blend starts to come through and tickle my taste buds. Today was a total CH day, for me. After reading the recent threads about it, I just enjoyed bowl after bowl. Yummy!

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@werdna - Good advice for me. I tend to be impatient when trying something new, and if it doesn't dazzle me, I often don't give it a second try.

Status
Not open for further replies.