PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
As it says, I've noticed CH (my standard tobacco) burns a lot faster than many other brands. What would be a good tobacco, and how much, can I add to a tub of CH to prolong how slowly CH burns? I was thinking of Plumcake. Thoughts?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hmmm ... never have this trouble with CH.
Is this an older tub that has maybe dried too much?
As far as mixing goes though ... CH and Lane 1Q at 50/50 is pretty decent.
Happy Smokin' :)

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
CH burns like a house on fire for me, too. But it doesn't burn hot, just quickly, and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. Sometimes I am glad to only spend 15 or 20 minutes on a nice bowl of burley. And combined with its mild, sweet taste, CH's fast burning makes it one of my very favorite break-in blends.
I bet 5100 or Nut Brown Burley would go nicely with Carter Hall. And slow it down a just little.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Sounds like a good suggestion to me, Roth. I have noticed that CH is a bit dry, despite the rapidity I go through it. I've placed moisturizer coins inside the tub, but did not consider putting it on top of the cardboard cover. Sounds like a simple solution. Thanks.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It may be due to my own stupidity. I removed the cardboard cover and didn't replace it. I don't make that mistake anymore with any of my tins or cans or tubs of tobacco. Plus I add the moisturizing coin.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Never noticed that about CH. Have a pouch of it myself and smoked some yesterday. Might fire up another bowl as we speak.
Could you be puffing faster with CH then other blends? Just a thought.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
In my limited experience, Carter Hall burns a little bit (not a LOT) faster than other blends. I don't consider this to be a problem per se.

I could be wrong, but I think it's the cut, rather than low moisture, that causes it to burn quicker.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Been thinking about this a bit. Seems to me if you compare CH to flakes, even fully rubbed out ones, the CH is going to burn a lot faster. Compared to the ribbon cut blends I have on hand I think CH may be a little faster burning, but not much. Flake baccy just burns more slowly for me.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I conducted a modest experiment: I loaded my big Rustic Nording with CH, and puffing and breathing normally a full chamber lasted perhaps fifteen minutes; I then did the same with Molto Dolce, a moist aromatic (my favorite) and that burn lasted well over forty-five minutes. Almost certainly moisture content has something to do with burning time, and I've added a humidity control packet to my tub of CH. By the way, I have never understood what "rolling" tobacco means--would anyone care to illuminate me as to its meaning and advantage? Thanks.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Carter Hall, hhmmm... Carter Hall, one of the seven wonders of the piping world! Great by itself, or as a mixer. Other worldly in a cob, and great in a briar! Needless to say, I have no problems with Carter Hall!

Status
Not open for further replies.