PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
With all this talk on here I see about CH and it being a good all day smoke, me thinks there be some added to my next order for a little taster ;)
I'm usually not one to try OTC blends b/c of fear of a bad bite again but this one seems to be pretty good. And if I don't like it on it's own I can always mix it with something

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
You might consider getting some Walnut along with it, Roth swears by the 50/50 mix of that and CH, and he's talked it up so much I'll probably have to try it myself
One of the reason's for my OP :lol:
I was thinking of the same 50/50 thing he does for S&G's and see what I get. If I don't like it I can always toss in a pinch of perique or some black. Change it up a little. If not then trade it off or let it age(?)

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I recently received 4oz of Carther Hall and it is a nice light smoke. I have to get my hands on some walnut and give that mix a try. Seems like it would mix with a number of other tobacco's as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm thinking of laying in a tin of CH against the rumored pipe tobacco famine prompted by the

not-so-rumored threats to raise pipe tobacco taxes. I have a 14 oz tin of Granger, another

codger tobacco, that seems to have lasted forever, but that I enjoy for an occasional smoke or

impromptu blend. I haven't tried CH, but it gets rave notices on Forums on a regular basis. I

like the idea of using it to stretch some of the pricier blends. I don't hear so much about using

other OTC's for that. Now to decide whether to order online or run 30/40 minutes out to the

discount place on I-95, which always reminds me of a market in Mexico for some reason. No

shipping if I drive, but about $6 for gas. Here's to CH; it may be my blend for the long haul,

until those tobacco plants take hold in the yard. Anyone every tried CH with Five Brothers?

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Having heard so many favorable comments about CH, I just bought a 14 oz. jar, and I have only one question:
WHERE'S THE TASTE????
Oh, well, should be good for blending.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I'm a big fan of Carter Hall. Unlike others, I get a LOT of taste from it -- way more flavor than I get from, say, more pedigreed blends like FVF or Escudo. It's a nutty, slightly-sweet taste with hints of raisins and VAs. Some bowls seem as though they've been topped with some kind of light fruit essence, while others have no trace of added flavoring. The stuff smokes itself and I find it almost impossible to get tongue bite from it, which is a huge factor in how much I like a blend. I think it's easily the best of the drugstore tobaccos, and I smoke it pretty much every single day. And yes -- it does mix unobtrusively with other blends, which makes it versatile as well as tasty. More important to me, however, is that I think it's best tobacco available to break in a new briar.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Having heard so many favorable comments about CH, I just bought a 14 oz. jar, and I have only one question:
WHERE'S THE TASTE????

:rofl:
It's just a good American Burley that's very one dimensional, doesn't bite, and is a great all day smoke and excellent blending baccy as well like you said.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm smoking some right now as I break in a new pipe. Burns cool, lots of smoke, nice nutty flavour. It's not complex, but it is definitely good.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I quickly moved away from drug store tobacco years ago, but because of what I kept hearing about them in cobs, I bought some Carter Hall and Prince Albert and liked CH more than SWR. As others have said, it burns well and has a nice simple nutty flavor. I haven't smoked enough SWR to see if my initial impression of it will stay the same.
Now I have to try some of rothnh's Walhall mix.
I wonder what everyone thinks of the other non aromatic OTC blends, such as Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half and any other blends that are available these days, in comparison to CH.
What I'm asking about are strictly drug store blends, not those sold in B&M's.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
AS usual, rothnh said it well.
You don't get the same ride in a Ford pickup as in a Mercedes, but neither can replace the other.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've tried most of the OTC's mentioned, SWR, CBR, PA, CH. I like CH the bedt be revisited Half &Half the other day, its pretty good too. I'd rank them in this order for me: CH, PA, CBR, HH, SWR

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think many pipe smokers don't get much taste from Burley; it's just not there for them. I am one who tastes

Burley and finds it mild, pleasant, but flavorful, mostly. Someone said Burley Without Bite is flavorless, but

I find it tasty -- not complicated, rich, or bold, but tasty. My favorite codger Burley is Granger, but Prince

Albert and Half and Half have also provided contentment.
Mike, my only motive blending Five Brothers with Burley is to slow down the enjoyment of the Five Brothers

a little; it smokes so fast. But I guess I enjoy the quick strong jolt, too. It's a nice ten-minute smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Least expensive CH I've found online is at Tobaccogeneral.com, at $24.99 -- I think it's a special. However,

with shipping, I can still do a little better by running out to the discount place on the highway -- give or take

a few bucks for the gas. Also, the chance to see if there's anything else there I'd like. I'm going to start with

a 14 oz tin of CH. Maybe another of Half and Half, and/or a tin or two of Dunhill. I may regret not going whole

hog on the codger blends for the future. I hope to hold the CH for a while, while I work on a lot of tobacco

that's open, so by the time I get to it, it'll be too late to lay in more. But I may gather a few more 14 oz tins

of it or similar, depending on how things are shaping up. I can see me looking forward to my weekly smoke.

Groan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm hoarding a little tobacco, as promised, but I shifted to Half and Half once confronted with the tins, since

I know I like it and haven't sampled CH yet. Also laid in 16 oz. of Lanes LL-7 and a big canning jar to hold it.

I'm going to try Five Brothers with Burley, but I think it's perfection on its own; I just accept it's a moment in

time. Ah.

Status
Not open for further replies.