Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Carter Hall

(34 posts)
  1. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I threw a pouch of this in with my recent tobacco sampler order, and I am very glad that I did. I wasn't too sure about it when I smelled the nuttiness of the pouch aroma. I was worried that like some other tobaccos I have tried, the flavor would be lacking. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so last night after work I loaded some CH in a cob and fired it up. What a pleasant surprise! After the charring light the tobacco burned evenly, produced satisfying clouds of smoke without overheating either my mouth or the pipe, and had a very pleasant taste. It smoked all the way down to the bottom of the bowl with only one relight. The taste was good all the way through, and there was no unpleasant aftertaste this morning when I woke up. Carter Hall is definitely one I will add to my cellar; now all I need is to try get some Walnut to mix with it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its good mixed with Northwoods too

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like aros its good mixed with 1Q or CBR

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. coreyr

coreyr

Login to Send PM

I have not had any Carter Hall in twenty years, I am travelling and just stopped at, of all places, a Piggely Wiggely, to get a newspaper. Behind the counter I noticed Carter Hall, Middeltons Cherry and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Only $3.47 each. I got one of each. Took me right back to my days in the Army, when I first started smoking a pipe just to drive the musquetoes away in Alaska. I have not actually lit up the CH yet but I am looking forward to it.

Freedom is never "Free!"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow...piggly wiggly really..I thought those were all gone!!

ETA:They're just gone from Texas apparently

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow...piggly wiggly really..I thought those were all gone!!

Hahaha! I have a piggly wiggly t-shirt! They are all over NC and SC around the coast. That's really the only place I have seen them.

I do recall wearing the shirt out and a small kid noticed it and said, "Oh what's piggly wiggly?" The mom said, "He must be from a small town, those aren't around much anymore." Lol!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It won't set the world on fire, but it does what it does and does so quite well.

I, too, mix Carter Hall 50/50 with Walnut. TBH, I think CH is good straight and it will mix well with just about anything. Got an aromatic that's too sweet? CH it. Got an English that's too pungent? CH it.

Mild mannered Carter Hall to the rescue

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another Carter Hall thread! The duct tape of pipe tobaccos! You can do anything with it! - bp

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another Carter Hall thread!

Well, it's the first Carter Hall thread I've started.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carter Hall deserves all the love it gets! - bp

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guess I'm going to have to break down and pick up a pouch next time at the smoke shop. CH, 2 varieties of CB, a handful of Middleton blends (pretty good OTC selection, luckily, right near home) but can't for the life of me find Walnut locally…

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

For those unaware, Walnut, one of the best OTCs out there IMO, is only available in 12 ounce tubs and in my experience, a lot harder to find than, say Carter Hall or Prince Albert.

4Noggins AFAIK is the only vendor that sells Walnut at "bulk" prices (2 ounces minimum).

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe you are right, rothnh. Walnut is really tough to find - I don't believe I have ever seen it in a shop - you have to get it online, unless you are very fortunate and have a huge b&m. IMO, it is the only OTC worth smoking.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 2-14 oz tubs of Carter Hall that should be at my door tomorrow

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carter Hall deserves all the love it gets!
    Yes. Yes it does.

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 wildcat...

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

CH is like the ketchup of the pipe world. Goes good on anything.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In every forum, and almost every post on blending, CH is the usual base.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I just bought a 1.5 oz box / pouch. Likely will take my maiden voyage with it this afternoon. I've never paid any attention to OTCs really, but there must be something to this one. If nothing else I can use it to blend in with the stronger tobaccos like Irish Flake and 1792 Flake to cut down the harshness a bit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I picked up some CH cherry, didn't care for it too much at the time, but then again I was sick and on alot of meds so everything had an odd taste for me. Now tho opening the jar its kinda of smells like an oatmeal cookie... strange... maybe I will try it for breakfast tomorrow....hmmm maybe I should order some meat candy and have a 2 course breakfast... sorry kids I know its smells like I cooked but here's your cereal

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up some CH cherry, didn't care for it too much at the time,

are u sure darjones?
    i never heard of CH Cherry?

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. acaciavet

acaciavet

Login to Send PM

Cant beat CH My k woods love the stuff[b]

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I picked up some CH cherry, didn't care for it too much at the time

The way I see it, blending Carter Hall with an aromatic, whatever the topping -- cherry, berry, don't matter what the topping is, or what the tobacco is cased with -- the whole purpose of doing so is to dilute that forwardness of the aromatic's non-tobacco flavor aspects and the bring forward the taste of actual, real tobacco flavor.

I suppose there might be some other esoteric, personal reason to mix CH with an aro, but TBH, I can't think of any that would make sense or actually work out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

oh sweet jesus im stupid yep your right its not carter hall ive have had such bad TAD recently ive gotten my names mixed up sorry everyone... wait on second look it is middleton and from what I can tell they are the same company?

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got some in my last TAD order and tried it a couple days ago. The good part was that it burned cool in a pipe that usually burns unbearably hot. It didn't heat up even when I pushed it. The not so good was that, while it did actually have flavor contradicting what I have read, it tasted just a teensy bit too much like a cheap cigar to be spectacular. I'll probably keep some in stock but it will be my pissed-off or work smoke rather than my pleasure smoke.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. coreyr

coreyr

Login to Send PM

I lit up my "piggely wiggely CH" and it was good. So was the SWR. The Middletons Cherry was not as good as I had recalled though. I am finishing up a bowl of SWR right now. They shan't replace my nicer 'backy's but I think I shall be keeping them on my shelf from now on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

They shan't replace my nicer 'backy's but I think I shall be keeping them on my shelf from now on.

That's pretty much my take on Carter Hall -- it won't set the world on fire, but I like it -- kinda like a "yard 'gar." Blended 50/50 with Walnut gives it more oomph and the flavors are tasty.

It's not going to replace my favorites either, but "Wal-Hall" has a solid spot in my rotation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I followed everyone's lead and dropped by a tobacco store and picked up a 1.5 oz pouch of CH today. I couldn't find Walnut so Wal-Hall is for another day. CH itself is quite unremarkable. However if mixed 50/50 with a bitey English blend, this makes a pretty good smoke. I take a lot of vitamin C so my body chemistry is probably more acidic than average. Since Burleys are on the alkaline side, I find mixing them with acidic Virginias greatly reduces tongue bite. Today I have mixed CH with Northwoods, CountrySide and a McC Oriental blend. I quite enjoyed myself and experienced a huge reduction in tongue bite. I think I will try mixing CH with aromatics next.
    I would also like to try a pure Burley blend (CH has some Virginia)for a mixer and see if that removes tongue-bite altogether. Maybe Boswell's Premium Burley? I don't know if it will mix as well as CH but it is worth a try. Any other suggestions out there?

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Flyguy, be careful with burleys as some (actually many) are aromatics and too often not advertised as such. Burley, compared to other tobacco leaves, has little flavor of its own, so even "all burley" blends usually use some sort topping. The Boswell Premium Burley you mention, for example, has black cavendish and, IIRC, some vanilla in it.

I not crazy over it, but Solani Aged Burley Flake is loved by many if not most burley lovers; it's absolutely top quality, and if there is a topping, it's so light I couldn't detect it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im not a big aromatic guy CH is actually pretty tasty! And for 3 bucks a pouch you really cant beat it! I figured since it has been around so long that it must be somewhat decent. It is ony of my favorite "on the go" tobaccos! Its pretty good with some jim beam mixed in as well. I usually add about a shot's worth to the pouch and mix it up well then let it sit for a couple days to dry a bit. I am always trying new things with this blend because its easy and cheap to replace if I screw it up! +1 for CH!

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best characteristic of CH is its burning quality. I would not consider CH an aro. It seems to mix well with other blends and burns evenly to the bottom of the bowl. CH produces a nice thick smoke which greatly adds to the enjoyment of the main tobacco without overpowering it. The reduction of bite is the big advantage. I am smoking CH and Autumn Evening (a tobacco that bites the heck out of me), 50/50 with little bite. Does anyone know the percentage of Burley vs Virginia in CH? Roth, your point is well taken as a sugary topping could cause bite also, even in a Burley.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know the percentage of Burley vs Virginia in CH?

The only ingredient info that I could find is from Middleton's own description: 'Cross cut Burleys with a sprinkling of Virginia flake'.

Russ
    Smoking a pipe is true relaxation...everything else is too much like work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Cross cut Burleys with a sprinkling of Virginia flake'.

I would take that as meaning very little Virginia content (mostly Burley). Thanks coalsmoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking the virginia content in Carter Hall is 15-20%.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipestud, kingjon, foggymountain