PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
What is this blend like? I really enjoy Burley so I think I would enjoy it but I'm wondering what makes it so good it's been around for so long. I found it at my local Rite Aid but I'm not sure if I will like it. If I do buy it should I smoke it in my Aro pipes or my VA/VAPer pipes?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Rothnh that CH is better than PA. I like SWR, too. Carter Hall has a less chemical taste than Prince Albert, and doesn't burn as fast, so you have less chance of tongue bite. Burleys do seem to taste best in cobs, but if you decide to use a briar, I suggest one that you smoke aros in.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
While burleys taste great in cobs, they also taste fantastic in briars.

The good thing about Carter Hall is that you can smoke it any briar without fear of it ghosting your pipes! I use it as a basic maintenance tobacco, meaning I use it to build cake, smoke out ghosts, etc. It's also just a great all-around all-day smoke.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I first bought CH to start breaking in pipes properly with a good ole' burley. I am almost exclusively a VA smoker now and it burns quite a bit hotter than a nice English. The taste of CH is starting to grow on me. Sometimes I crave it. I too have ordered the big can plus a can of Walnut to give fisher's recommendation a try. If a favorite VA is like a nice perfectly grilled NY Strip or Ribeye, then Carter Hall would be more along the lines of a cheeseburger. While steak is awesome, sometimes a person just craves that nice juicy goodness that can only be satisfied by a delicious cheeseburger.
Sorry if the food analogy is a bit much but its lunchtime here. A tastey cheeseburger followed by some CH in my new Dunhill 4109 before the game sounds about right. :D

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I've tried several times to "get into" CH w/ no luck, yet it's cousin/brother,Sugar Barrel, I love! I'm gonna dive into the CH again for another try soon. Here's a SB review from TRev.com that sez it well IMO:
It's not sugary as the name implies, though it is sweet in a Carter Hall way. It's not so sweet as to cause diabetes. The nuttiness of the burley comes through and works well with the Virginia component... It burns well and as long as you don't puff hard, will taste the same through the smoke; no bite. It's not complex... It's a pleasant all day smoke. (edited)
As for Burleys, I also enjoy Velvet and Kentucky Club Mild very much. Used to smoke a lot of H&H, but not so much as of late... prolly cuz I'm out of it!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After reading about how many guys love this stuff, I ordered a pouch to try it. It should be getting here the beginning of this week. It will be my first OTC since I smoked Borkum Riff as a kid in my dads pipe. I am looking forward to it.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Cool thanks for the responses I think I'll pick some up to try. On a side note I tried Captain Black Gold that a friend gave me. It was surprisingly pretty enjoyable when I was puffing very slowly.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
Carter Hall is just plain GREAT.I have burned more CH then any other brand.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Not only is Carter Hall straight, I've found that it makes the best American English out there when mixed 4 or 5 five parts CH to one part latakia. I stopped smoking Morley's Best, Epiphany, etc. after discovering that trick!

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I've tried several times to "get into" CH w/ no luck, yet it's cousin/brother,Sugar Barrel, I love! I'm gonna dive into the CH again for another try soon.

Quoting myself here...

As promised, I picked up a pouch of CH at the local grocery. Same place I picked up my 1st pouch of CH, which I did not enjoy. My tounge/brain/something has changed... This is wonderful stuff! For over a year, I tried that 1st pouch, then a tub sample and a pouch again and did not enjoy it... but this time. Wow! Three days in and I finally understand all the gushing. Good stuff! Need to add a tub to the next order! Happy, happy!

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
fisher, you are so right! Ed James and a lot of other guys have been saying the same thing to me for a while! But man it just wasn't happening for me. I stuck to my Velvet, Kentucky Club, Sugar Barrel, PA, and Walnut, but I said NO to the Carter Hall.
How could my tongue change like that? I mean it went from zero to hero! Like you and all the other fans have said, DAMN GOOD STUFF! By the way fisher, it was your recent posts about CH and blending it that got me to thinking about giving it another go. I owe you a big thank you my friend!!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How could my tongue change like that? I mean it went from zero to hero! Like you and all the other fans have said, DAMN GOOD STUFF! By the way fisher, it was your recent posts about CH and blending it that got me to thinking about giving it another go. I owe you a big thank you my friend!!
Frank I had the same thing happen with PA !! Was a time just a few years ago I thought PA to be unfit for human consumption! Now I smoke PA everyday--and CH too!

Status
Not open for further replies.