PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
I found myself in Cincinnati Friday and most of today for my 2 younger son's end of season hockey tournament. I was out in Reading, so decided to wander over to 2 nearby b&m's.

Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe is a hole in the wall, and I loved it. The air was thick with smoke as I walked in. The proprietor, who's name I neglected to catch, was very welcoming. There were many jars of bulk(mostly Stokkebye) and a few tins. I picked up 4 oz of LBF and tins of Westminster and Briar Fox. I left behind a McClelland Royal Cajun from 1996. Didn't have the heart to buy it.

Later I visited Bell's. Johnny, the owner, was very gracious and talkative. They had several Sutliff bulk blends, but not many tins. I did pick up a tin Of Old Dark Fired from 2013.

Both stores had very nice stocked humidors, which I will take advantage of next time I'm up that way.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Sounds like a good day to me. Finding B&Ms especially in smaller cities like mine is getting hard especially those containing pipes and pipe tobacco. In my area we have only one and it is all cigars and hookas.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Carrousel is indeed a nice shop. It's just a few miles from me. That used to be a fairly nice neighborhood which has been in decline. It's been a nice little informal shop for a while. The guys sitting along the window may as well be sitting around a pot belly stove smoking.
He has a lot of estate pipes there, refurbished, for a good cost. I got 5 briars there in bad shape very cheaply from a bin which I suppose they thought were beyond repair. I picked through the bin and got 5 which had good briar bowls but the stems were trashed. I put a reed stem on a couple and use extra Missouri Meerschaum stems on a couple. Got 5 knock around briars for less than $20.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
SWB, I was there on Friday also. Its a great little shop. Typically they are well stocked on tobacco, having both the wall, the shelf behind the counter, and they shelf under the bulk well stocked. Should be stocked pretty well soon, Arnold had just made an order while I was in.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
I was at Carrousel, not Bells just to clarify. After finding Carrousel I haven't ventured to any other tobacconist's in the area.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Sitting around a pot belly stove smoking. That is a good idea for a tobacco shop. The only place around me that you could sit around a pot belly stove and smoke was at the gun shop. Unfortunately they switched to a different business and got rid of the stove.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
stflorian- was that you in the parking lot smoking yr pipe?

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Probably not. I was there around 230ish and smoked inside a bit with a few gentlemen, then smoked to my car and left. I wasn't in the parking lot too long. What time were you there SWB?

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Around 4 or so. 2 guys smoking cigars by the window. The thick haze walking in just reinforced my liking of this store.

Status
Not open for further replies.