PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I have a 1974 Peterson 2S that I'd like to be a bit shinier. Is Carnuba wax the appropriate product?
Thanks!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Agree - I don't like the idea of putting oil on briar. Just doesn't seem like a good option. Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil is great for my vulcanite stems - but I don't put it on wood.
A hunk of carnuba wax isn't a big price to pay if it will help.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Easiest way to shine a rusticated pipe -- or a smooth one -- http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Paragon wax is a good choice for smooth briars.

http://www.4noggins.com/paragon-wax-1-oz.aspx

Halcyon II is designed for rusticated and blasted pipes. Neither one requires a buffer.

http://www.4noggins.com/Halcyon-wax-1-oz.aspx

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Check out two products that will give you an excellent shine without needing the use of a buffer, Paragon and Halcyon, both from the same maker. One can be used on both smooth and rusticated pipes, The other is for smooth finishes only. I use both products and they provide as good a shine as carnuba, in part because they are composed of carnuba. You just use the smallest amount and follow directions. I get a better result by not following the directions. Rather than use a polishing cloth, I apply a small amount using my fingertips to spread the paste, then as it sets up, I rub the pipe with my fingers and in the palms of my hands so that the particles of polish are rubbing against each other as the paste sets up and the result is a glass like finish.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Another micro-crystalline wax in the same vein as the Paragon/Hylcyon line is a product called "Renaissance" that was developed by the British Museum. I picked up the recommendation from a G.L. Pease article and find this stuff does a pretty amazing job without the need for a buffing wheel. I actually have a variable speed bench grinder converted for buffing and don't use it anymore since picking up a can of Renaissance. Just my 2₵.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
5B863013-D663-4F64-9B8B-40661478960D-89331-00006A489C7FD635_zps50e06af7.jpg
Best thing I got on the Bay was this shoe polisher, great for spiffing up pipes regardless of the wax you use. At 48$ it didn't break the bank and does a damn good job.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Been wondering how well one of those shoe shiners would work for polishing a pipe. Figured they would have to be gentler on nomenclature and stem/shank transition than a high-speed impregnated buffing wheel. Might have to invest in one of these.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Halcyon and or Halcyon II will do the job. Also, an impregnated pipe cloth, sold under various brand names by virtually all the online sites is great for in-between touch-ups.

southerndraw

Lurker
Jul 4, 2014
Awesome! I never thought of shoe shining equipment for pipes, and 45 bucks is a great deal. Thanks for the idea.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
The stuff sure is expensive though isn't it. I have wanted to polish my pipes since I started smoking but man, that seems a bit pricey. I usually don't do the hashtag rubbish but I think this is fit here #brokeguyproblems :rofl:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The stuff sure is expensive though isn't it. I have wanted to polish my pipes since I started smoking but man, that seems a bit pricey. I usually don't do the hashtag rubbish but I think this is fit here #brokeguyproblems [:rofl:]
Yeah, it ain't cheap but a small jar will do hundreds of pipes. With the Halcyon or Paragon-- a little goes a long way.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Another low cost, no buffer required, option for a quick shine to your pipe is a Dunhill Pipe Wipe. I use one as the finishing touch on all the pipes I clean up. They last forever, and do a very good job returning shine to your pipes.
https://smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=84864
Wax only if you prefer appearance over taste.
Foggy, am I reading this statement correctly? Do you really think that waxing a pipe negatively impacts flavour? I have read your other comments about how polishing pipes is simply a play on vanity/aesthetic preference, but I don't think I remember you suggesting that waxing a pipe has a deleterious effect on a pipes smokeability.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.