PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prefontaine

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
Hey guys, I just de-oxidized my pipe stem with a Walker's Briar stem restoration kit, and when I added the carnauba wax to the mouthside end of the pipe, I may have gotten some carnauba inside of the stem. I'm going to run some pipe cleaners through to make sure, but it wasn't a lot of wax. I'm worried however about the possibility of danger. What do you all recommend I do?

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I recommend you give the pipe to me to avoid danger.
Barring that, I personally wouldn't get to concerned. A pipe cleaner will catch most of it. I don't imagine you'll die. Maybe just lose your eyesight or have an appendage fall off or something.
:>)
Seriously though I'm sure I get carnuba on the business end of the stem and maybe even in the slot, and I've never noticed any problems.
On a related side note...man that carnuba smells good when it gets warmed up on a buffing wheel.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Carnauba is a harmless, natural substance made from palm leaves, which is why we use it (along with the fact that it just dulls over time, as opposed to flaking). It is also used in cosmetics etc. and as a thickening agent in food. You could probably chew on the block if you wanted to do so. :)

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Definitely nothing to be worried about.
Pure carnauba wax is basically inert. It is sometimes used as a coating on dental floss, candy, and pharmaceutical caplets/tablets.
When mixed with other chemicals to create car waxes and such, it may be a different story....
FWIW...here is a link to Wikipedia (the all knowing, and only true source of information) on the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnauba_wax

prefontaine

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the quick responses gents. I over-react very easily on certain things, and that was the case hear.
Jonesing- I wish I had a buffing wheel, I did everything with a cloth. Regardless, I'd lack the skill to use the wheel. ;p

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Nahh Prefontane... you don't lack the skill. Here's how I know.....I can do it. By definition then anyone can. Easy peasy. Just hold on tight and be smart about the angles you hold the pipe at against the wheel. Otherwise it's like feeding the pipe into a pitching machine. I know...I've seen me do it.

pipemaker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2010
Don't listen to these fools carnuba is very dangerous you shoud give it to jonesing or myself for proper disposal.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Next time that you are cleaning a stem, just insert a pipe cleaner into it and leave it in place while you are cleaning it. That should help stop, or minimize, the cleaner and polish from getting into the airway.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Lol Jonesing, I can just picture pipes flying everywhere while a mad piper is trying to buff his pipes.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Working with a buffing wheel it isn't IF it will grab something and shoot it across the room. It's WHEN!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I've had pipes snatched out of my hand and fluing across the room at speeds "faster than a speeding bullit." Keep the object below the centerline of the wheel and don't let an edge come in contact with the wheel. Although some recommend not inserting a finger in the bowl when buffing, I do it regurlary.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I love it when amatuers give advice. Its always filled with half truths and non-sense. Buffing wheels are supposed to shoot pipes. Its how we know there is the right amount of wax on the pipe. Buff, buff, buff, shoot. Buff, buff, buff, shoot. Enough wax = no scratches on pipe when smacked against the wall or the floor by the buffing wheel. Not enough wax = scratches when smacked against the wall or the floor by the buffing wheel. If after launching your pipe with the buffing wheel, you find scratches, just buff off the scratches and put on more wax. Its natures way of telling you that you need more wax. Why do you think car waxes include carnuba wax? Its to help protect the car in the event of a crash. Did you ever see a nicely waxed crashed car? Nope. Because those cars just drove away unscathed. You only ever see dirty cars in car crashes. Not enough wax.
What's next? Telling people they shouldn't wear neck ties while they use the buffer?

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
You mean you're NOT supposed to wear a tie when buffing? I've done it for years. Mind you I have the shiniest tie in the whole of the UK and for some reason my collar size has reduced by 2 inches and my eyes bulge!

Status
Not open for further replies.