PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Good afternoon all, a bit more advice required if you don't mind.
Am looking into buffing some estate pipes with my nice new pillar drill (couldn't find an affordable buffer) and have read on here the preferred wax to use is carnauba. Whilst searching for carnauba bars for sale here in the UK I see a lot of carnauba & beeswax blend bars for polishing purposes. My query is would this be ok or should I go for pure carnauba?
Of course they don't state what % of the bar is actually carnauba but I would wager it is low.
Any advice or tips would be most welcome.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's exactly what my mustache wax is made of, and have had good results using such a bar of wax on pipes.

Sep 18, 2015
I haven't tried it on any pipes yet but I blend carnauba and beeswax at a 35/65 ratio for some of my woodworking projects. I can get a nice satin finish by hand buffing.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
As long as you now have a buffing wheel setup I would most definitely opt for the pure carnauba wax.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi again Phil, I think your advice is wise so I shall try to dig out 100% carnauba. One other thing, I was reading on an older thread last night mention of 'light' carnauba and 'dark' carnauba, I suppose either would suit my task?
Regards,
Jay.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
P.E.Hermann Danmark. 30 gram Dkr 42,50 - about £ 4,50 - plus the post.Look at his homepage under "polering"
Jørgen

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just bought a bar of 100% carnauba from Axminster Tools (UK) for £6.26 inc. P&P. So glad I didn't go for the blended bar as I've since read several articles on the subject and the blended bars tend to give a satin finish (as reported by Onestrangeone that is apparently not long lasting. Some folks will be happy with a satin finish but I prefer a gloss finish, also I believe carnauba gives a more hardwearing 'coat'.
Up until now I have been using Kiwi neutral shoe polish which contains carnauba and buffed it by hand with a micro-fibre towel. The results are very pleasing but I know a better finish can be had hence me going the 'electric' route.
Once I get the hang of buffing stummels I might even venture into buffing stems if I can get over my fear of rounding off square edges :?
Many thanks for your help on this chaps, it is much appreciated.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
An interesting article I just stumbled upon highlights the problems of car 'waxes' and I presume my Kiwi shoe polish too...
"For furniture and automobile uses, solvents are added to it to soften it so that it can be applied. In fact the most expensive paste waxes are only +/- 35% carnauba, and often, other waxes – natural and synthetic – are added, as are other polymers, making them really unsuitable for pipes. Once softened with solvents, carnauba will never revert to its rock-hard natural state, and that is the reason that paste waxes are not suitable for a pipe finish. The only way to seal raw briar is to apply pure carnauba wax with a buffer."
The full article on buffing can be found at 'Stemandbriar.com'.
Hope someone finds this helpful, I certainly did.
Regards,
Jay.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
Carnauba is a hard wax that requires the speed of a buffing wheel to liquefy it. A blend with beeswax makes it possible to apply by hand. On a pipe, Carnauba is more resistant to melting from the heat of a briar when smoked.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
UPDATE:
My tiny (40g) bar of carnauba arrived this morning but am somewhat disappointed. Using a (new) cotton buff I cannot seem to load the wheel with wax, it's as hard as nails! I know one should only offer the bar to the wheel for a second or so but I assume for the first time perhaps a few seconds is required, however having offered the bar to the wheel for several seconds I see no wax on the wheel. All I ended up with is a very shiny bar of wax :cry:
Might some kind soul suggest where I am going wrong please?
Regards,
Jay.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, that wax is indeed going on the wheel so don't overload it. You could polish a pipe everyday and that bar would last you a lifetime.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks chaps, of course there was wax on the wheel, I tried it on a recently finished pipe and it worked a treat.
"You could polish a pipe everyday and that bar would last you a lifetime."
Phil, that sounds good to me, I do like value for money :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.