PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
1. What do you use to put a protective polish a nice pipe?
The kind of carnauba wax that comes in flakes, which is, (I'm assuming), pure carnauba flakes, or something like Gelitz Guitar Wax which is mostly carnauba.
2. Would you use the same thing to put a new glossy finish on a stripped down and re-stained restoration job?

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks excav8tor, that thread is exactly what I needed to read. Answered all my questions. I found the wax in bar form.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I found it at Amazon.com, Bubba.

Five or six bucks for a bar of it.
I don't know how to do links, but here's the long one;
http://www.amazon.com/Beall-Tools-Carnauba-Wax-5-1/dp/B0037MM4PC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1288953154&sr=8-3

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I don't think that stick on ebay is pure carnuba which is what you want. Stay away from compounds and mixes. Pure carnuba feels hard like plexiglass. Tim West sells some at Time West Repairs
2oz. will last a very long time.
Cortez is right about it lasting a long time, so when he says a long time, it is a really really long time. I have about 36 pipes and am more anal retentive about polishing them than anyone I know. I've been using a piece of carnuba wax about 1/2 the size of a hocky puck for going on 5 years and I am only about 1/3 the way through it.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Snake,
most of us use a buffing/polishing wheel.
I have a variable speed jewelry polisher with two wheels. The left one is for polishing compounds, the right wheel is Carnuba only.
I rev the polisher up to high revs, gently push the carnuba bar into the spinning wheel, ensuring a good coat of wax is transferred to the wheel.
Then I slow the rev's to the slowest setting and start buffing the stummel, stem or both.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As was mentioned, carnauba applied via a cotton buff. I've used the Paragon and Halcyon products too, and while excellent products, they don't quite give the same deep finish.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have used carnuaba with my hands and a cloth, but it works much better with a buffing wheel.
You don't need a machine, if you have a drill you can but a wheel that will chuck in.
I just have my wife hold the drill and buff away.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Great point Jeff,
I've seen videos of folks that have their variable speed drills in a vice on their bench.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
You can make a carnauba paste wax to apply by hand if you don't have bench tools or hand tools. I melted carnauba flakes and a bit of bees wax and then added some tongue oil and turpentine or mineral spirits is ok, too. This can be applied by hand using a rag, wait for it to haze over like car wax and then polish by hand with a soft rag. I made some of this two or three years ago, jarred it up in a small ball jar and it's still good.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I get mine here.

$6.00 for a 4oz block. It only takes a very tiny bit. A 4oz block will last me ten lifetimes. And VMT is a site sponsor and you know it's 100% top quality.
http://vermontfreehand.com/product/carnauba-wax/

Status
Not open for further replies.