PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
So besides the specs that are given about melting temperature and all of that, what would give a better shine and protection to a pipe? Would a carnauba wax or the Halcyon II wax, which is better? Also, which would work better on a smooth finish and a rusticated finish?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suspect that Carnuba would give better protection, but as I don't currently own a buffer, Paragon and Halcyon waxes are what I use. Paragon is the one to use for rusticated and sandblasted surfaces and Halcyon II is for smooths. If you know how to use these microcrystalline waxes they will give a high gloss that compares favorably with carnuba. By that I mean, not following the directions which suggest using a soft cloth to apply and buff the polish. You will get a nice sheen, but not a high gloss. Hand rubbing a tiny amount, literally using your hands to apply, spread, and buff, will result in a very high gloss. The microcrystalline waxes don't hold up to direct contact with water as well as carnuba. But the finish is easy to renew, and the pipe is saved from death by buffer.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
You can use Paragon on both textured as well as smooth surfaces. It's a softer wax paste and less likely to leave a whitish build up in crevices. Halcyon is a stiffer wax paste.
? Not following this, just did the finger poke test, Paragon is definitely the stiffer of the two...
"Show me wax on, wax off!" :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I once made the mistake of using Halcyon on a sandblasted pipe. It took weeks before I finally got the white stuff off my pipe. I switched to Dunhill polishing cloths after that. I have no buffers or machines of any kind so the cloth works well for me.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I don't have a buffing setup so I use these with my hands and a super soft cloth to shine them up. They're both great products, although to be 100% honest, my pipes haven't seen a shine in quite some time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I once made the mistake of using Halcyon on a sandblasted pipe. It took weeks before I finally got the white stuff off my pipe. I switched to Dunhill polishing cloths after that. I have no buffers or machines of any kind so the cloth works well for me.
That can be a problem, but I have a workaround. I don't apply the wax to a cloth and then rub it on. Instead, I apply a tiny amount to the palm of one hand, rub my palms together to spread it, and then rub the sandblasted or rusticated pipe with the palms of my hands. The wax doesn't well up in the depressions and as it sets up while I continue to rub, the friction of the wax particulate rubbing against itself produces a high gloss shine with no build up. The wax washes off my hands with soapy water.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Hand rubbing a tiny amount, literally using your hands to apply, spread, and buff, will result in a very high gloss.
I totally agree.
I switched to Dunhill polishing cloths after that.

Me too. I love this cloth so much I stocked up and hoarded extra because they can be hard to find at times. Remember to wipe the pipe immediately after smoking, while it's warm.
This is for quick wipes after smoking. Making this step a habit will cut down on the need for heavy buffing later.

k4HvP81.jpg

Like Jesse said, Halcyon II and Paragon work well. And again, apply with your hand, smooth it around and rub hard (similar to shining shoes military style).

CZJIPgd.jpg

Carnuba wax is great, but you need a buffer wheel to apply correctly. Right? Well, here is secret Ninja society trick and little known fact. Tom Eltang started using his special yellow suede leather pipe bags to provide a buffing cloth for the pipe. You turn it inside out and melt Carnuba all over both sides (melt via a direct candle flame then when the block is hot/moist, rub it directly and roughly on the leather using elbow grease, do this a few times util you have a good coating). Then turn the bag right side out and put your pipe in the bag, the hot freshly melted carnuba is on the inside. Rub your pipe mortise aggressively and evenly. It will come out very shinny.
You could do a similar technique with any suede pipe bag if you can find one, or make your own. Or use an old Dunhill polishing cloth (but I've tried and it just doesn't work as well as that bag turned inside out then coated then right side out).
Here is an example of the Eltang leather pipe bag on the left and a shinny virgin smooth chimney right after buffing with the bag.

zPFXlCe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.