PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
so I figure to run one VIN maybe 5.95 or even 9.95.. but no 39.95 for one or 59 for a year unlimited. what a rip off.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Funny that this should come up. Just for giggles I tried to get a Carfax for my 1976 MGB. Turns out that my vin number isn't long enough and the car is too old for this service.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if neither of us can find 'someone' we agreed if it was clean as he claimed I would pay and if it found a problem he would pay.
certainly not a deal breaker but I would rather have a lot of folks pay e $10 then a few guys paying the $39 or spending a day finding a friend to run it for them

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think a modest fee is definitely worth the price. I bought a car in /93, that was in incredible shape for it's age. Didn't know anything about carfax then, or if it even existed. It had been in an accident and fixed up before I bought it, unknown to me. Anyway, it could never be lined up quite perfect. I drove it for 4 yrs, and went through approximately 8-10 sets of tires. I would have gladly paid $50.00 for the story on it before I bought it.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Just remember not everything gets posted to Carfax . Look for over spray and bolts with the paint scratched off of them under the hood and bring along a magnet to check for Bondo on the body . You can always tell more about a car by looking at the underside . I always make them put it up on a rack so I can get a good look and shake everyting . The new headlights also fog out at about five years if they are clear take a closer look . Good luck as most car dealers are shady at best .

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
We bought a code reader which plugs into any car and tells us if there's any issues with it in terms of the engine or electrical components. It is pretty invaluable, if they are smart enough to zero the codes though right before the test drive, it does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.