PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
While not a fan of the magic inch system it looks like a good pipe. The seller is a super person!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The system is best dealt with by taping over the slots. You sukc in enough air that it in my opinion spoils the taste of the smoke.

I have dealt many times with the seller before I stopped buying on ebay and told them to use paypal as a suppository.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Carey pipes don't use filters as such, but Papyrate Sleeves. Without the sleeves, the pipe won't smoke properly. The sleeves are inexpensive and help deliver a fairly decent smoke.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I bought from Carey's Smoke shop once, and got a terrible pipe that was absolutely unfit for practical use. I returned it, contacted them, and never got my $40 refunded to my account... Be glad you bought it from ebay! :(

davebell30

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
I have several Carey Magic Inch pipes and I do agree with Uncle Arthur. I've blocked off the air intake slots in the stem in order to get a more traditional smoking experience. I've found that the pipes do not draw or smoke that well using the magic inch system and the sleeve is definitely necessary to get the pipe to draw when smoking without the slots closed off. I take a rubber tooth guard and slide it down the stem to cover the slots and the pipe smokes more naturally. That is my experience but yours may be different. Try it both ways and see how you like either configuration. Enjoy your new acquisition.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
As I have the equipment and stems on hand I just take off the original stem and replace it with a good vulcanite number. The briar parts seem to be pretty decent.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've restored several of these pipes. Aside from their system of filtration, I've noticed that the stem can be a bit flimsy and break easily. Now, doing a stem replacement on one doesn't sound that bad after seeing some experiences from you fellas. Maybe I can do a restoration and keep the original stem for collectors sake.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Well, it arrived. The "magic inch" system in place makes for a crappy smoke.
Taped up, it makes for an okay smoke. An okay smoke with a pipe that has electrical tape on the stem.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Haha, yeah I taped mine too. But now its to ugly to smoke. How do you replace the stem? I haven't looked at mine for a while but doent the stem have some sort of different way it goes on?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Take out the little doodad that holds the paper tube and chuck it and the cheap nasty stem. Then it can be re-stemmed like any other pipe.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I chunked the "magic inch system" and inserted a plastic stem off a cob, as it fits right for the most part. It is now a cheap, knockaround, working outside pipe.
My suggestion for those who learn from the mistakes of others is to avoid the Carey pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.