Care and Feeding of a Meerschaum Falcon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unit562

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I have just won a fabulous Meerschaum Falcon bowl on the ebay. A block meerschaum not one of those meerly lined bowls..but pure Meerschaum! I have never seen one come up and just needed it for my beloved falcon system.
But have some questions....

what special care does this need to get the most out of it.

obviously never ream...but how do I clean it? will it ghost like briars?
FYI - I have been smoking 18 months now and smoke my falcon daily. I have 5 additional bowls and love the look and feel of the falcon. I also have 4 regular briar pipes which I tend to smoke weekly. I've got the handle on the care of the briars...but this Meerschaum is different and rarer and I just want to love it the way it needs to be loved.

thankyou

James.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Clean hands, both putting it on and removing it, never remove the bowl when it's hot. Don't use alcohol on it as it usually turns meerschaum black, wipe the bowl with a clean cloth and don't allow it to cake (I leave a trace in mine keeping it trim with my Reem-N-Clean Reamer and have done this since 1987 but no build up as it could crack the bowl). Other than that enjoy it as you will find it will be a welcome addition especially when trying a new tobacco since meerschaum seldom ghosts.

unit562

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, I'll post a picture when it arrives.

Thankyou for your input fishnbanjo. You make it sound like there isn'tmuch to it and my concerns are unfounded.

I like the sound of no ghost piping. this may become a favourite.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
(using the Jedi mind trick) "You don't want that bowl, you want to sell me that bowl" ;)

ozgur

Lurker
Nov 9, 2014
Actually you dont have to do so many things for meerschaum bowls.

You can clean it with a thin cotton cloth. Also you can clean inside the bowl with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.