PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Tin date is 6-01-15. Components: Latakia, Orientals, Perique, and Virginia - as listed at smokingpipes. The tin only mentions Latakia.
Crumble Cake. Full on Latakia! Another favorite along with Nightcap and Pirate Kake. This is a monster. If you need me, I'll be up in the crows nest.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Maxx:
As a fellow Lat Whore, I find Nightwatch stunning. Nightcap and Star of the East are my day long smokes but poor Pirate Kake - most assuredly a fine tobacco in it's own right - is lost on my burned out palette.
I'm also a big fan of C&D's Montford Point Marine, another Craig Tarler product - Low Country Black - alongside Sykes Wilford of Smokingpipes.com - plus Russ Ouelette's Larry's Blend, 10 to Midnight and Black House.
We're so fortunate to be living in a time where there are so many wonderful Lat heavy blends to choose from, Maxx. Enjoy, man.
Fnord

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks for more selections to try. I'm seriously interested. I ordered Black House earlier today, along with Baby's Bottom, Latakia Flake, and Old Ironsides. On deck, I've got Ten Russians, Stimulus Package, Da Vinci, and Private Stock. Long live Latakia.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I fell in love with Latakia a few months into my piping experience. I'd ordered some bulks from P's&C's and one of them was my first Lat blend, Newminster's #52. Since then I've sampled a bunch of them and am amazed that something so distinctive can be incorporated into such a variety of tasty blends.

Pirate's Kake wasn't one of my favorites when we had the first go around with C&D blends. I have discovered, however, that it spices up my Prince Albert and transforms both into a very welcome change.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I think that Captain Earle's "Private Stock", "Stimulus Package" and "Ten Russians" are all supposed to be even stronger than "Nightwatch". Is this correct? Where do these blends lie on a continuum from weakest to strongest?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I've had Private Stock, and 10 Russians, I would suggest smoking Private Stock before 10 Russians as it's the milder of the two. Havent had Nightwatch or Stimulus Package yet, although I have them both unopened. I'd be curious to hear from someone that's had all of them to order them from mildest to strongest.

trumpetboy

Lurker
Jun 15, 2011
When I compare these Captain Earle blends, it's not the strength that is different to me, but the character of these blends. They are all fairly hefty compared to a lot of others out there.

Here are my impressions--your mileage may vary...in order of strength--for me.

Mystic--great taste of Orientals blended with the Virginia and Latakia--a unique taste to this blend.

Private Stock--another blend that lets the Orientals shine through and again, a unique taste all it's own. Slightly fuller than Mystic.

Diamond Head--Sweeter due to the Red Virginia, I'm sure, and a bit more Lat presence.

Nightwatch- Less sweet than Diamondhead, and more Latakia--a fuller one.

Ten Russians--definite presence of unsweetened Black Cavendish, Orientals and lots of Latakia---a very stout blend.

Stimulus Package--even more Latakia, without the Cavendish--more a ramped up Nightwatch.

Honor Blend--No Latakia here, but I find the N content of this one almost too much--great taste until I start palpitating and hiccuping!

I'm very fond of all these blends--I like to cut the blocks with a sharp knife against the grain so you have a broken flake, put them in jars and let them age.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I'm definitely thinking about ordering these blends from captain Earle next tad order. I love nightcap and star of the East. I don't like something about 965 and wondering if it's the cavendish.

Status
Not open for further replies.