Captain Bob's Blend: I am dissapointed...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
OK, I know what has taken place. Sykes Wilfred owns C&D. BUT,I OWN THE RECEPIE! I DID NOT SIGN A CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT WITH CORNELL AND DIEHL. I have "MY" formula. I also have the sauce formula! I also paid 100% of the cost of the Art-Work which was $350.00! Craig Tarler wanted to make my blend a "tinned blend". I did not want the purchasers of my blend to pay a higher price for my blend. Therefore, we agreed that CBB would remain available in bulk and tinned depending on the customer preference. If I paid for the artwork, Craig agreed that he would pay for the printing and labels for those who wanted it tinned and those who were ordering in bulk would be able to continue to do so without a price increase. I never received remuneration for Captain Bob's Blend and still do not receive any compensation at all for my Blend. That is the way that I wanted it to be! I am very disappointed in the change of the label. I understand the concerns expressed to me about change in labeling. Specifically, as to if the "Blend" is also changed. I understand that is not the case. However, I do understand why so many of the followers of this Blend are concerned. Why Sykes would drop the artwork is beyond me! It only creates questions as to the contents. I will no longer promote CBB. I have absolutely nothing to gain by that effort. After all, I can make all of it that I wish to, in my kitchen!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Woodsroad,
It is a statement! Discussion is always welcome because this is a Forum.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Thank you, woodsroad.
However, I make all the CBB that I want right in my kitchen! I feel disappointment for the loyal followers of my blend that have expressed concern about the change in label. Although, I am confident that no change in the actual tobacco has taken place. I have only Sykes comments to rely on in that regard. So, I can't be positive about it. Although, I do believe him. I realize that CBB is not their top seller by any means. I also do not know any facts in that regard. Given what has taken place, I simply am not going to do any further "missionary-work" to promote my blend. I did not mind doing that while it was what Craig Tarler and I agreed upon. But, now that things have changed and I do not appreciate the change in tin artwork, I simply will refrain from any further promotion of my blend. I do believe that Sykes will probably drop the blend as a result. That is fine with me because I do not profit, nor do I really care. I resent his change in artwork as I paid for it personally. Craig Tarler has died. Chris sold to Sykes. Life goes on. I am well situated and really could care less how any of them feel about it or react to any of this. I just wanted to "square-off" with my fellow Forum friends. I can't even recall the number of phone calls, emails and PM messages that I have received as a result of the changes. I have all the CBB that I will ever want. I create it in my kitchen. I am OK with all of it. I just wanted to clear the air with fellow Forum Members.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Am I being gullible if I believe this rant is factual? I know Woodsroad is quite capable of including himself in a bit of fakery. (That might be a made-up word). I haven't been around long enough to know the saga of CBB. GODFREY DANIELS! :roll:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If there's one thing we can be sure of, Captain Bob takes Captain Bob's Blend very seriously.
I'm sorry for you, Captain. This clearly has you upset. Perhaps the art change will drive sales. Packaging design changes happen for many reasons; re-branding, legislative changes to content, ingredient changes, and cost increases are some of the biggies. Regardless of the why, I hope you and the legion of CBB smokers find peace in this new world.
-- Pat

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm getting a mixed message here. You want everyone to have a shot getting the blend for good price but your realize by your actions it may be made unavailable? Hopefully you will be able to get things hashed out. I wouldn't worry about the tin art. I imagine most sales are by bulk anyway.
I haven't tried your blend yet but I certainly would like to someday soon.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I clearly missed something earlier. Is there a new version of the Captain Bob's label? Or is the new label just the generic one with no graphic?

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm with you on this Captain! When I ordered my tin of CBB I wanted one with the tin art not the generic label. If the recipe has been changed, I wouldn't know since this is my first tin. I think you need to get a tin and see for yourself. If it has been changed maybe you need to publish the original recipe for its fans.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Well looking on the bright side, now that the tin art has changed people can sell their aged CBB on Ebay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Is this a done deal? After all, it's not in any way about saving money (see this: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/campd-label-differences#post-717692). Could it be the case that new tin art is in the works? That's not a rhetorical question -- I assume someone knows one way or the other, but that hasn't been made clear.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I never liked C & D's tin art, and see the new labels as an improvement.
Perhaps you could make the old artwork available online, such that people could print it off and tape/paste it onto their tins, thereby concealing the new artwork.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Aye, and there is the reason lawyers make good money drawing up contracts. A good contract could have left you with some control over the future of your "baby." You would have had to negotiate a new contract with the new owners or you could have regained exclusive control, marketing the product yourself or finding another producer.
Of course I write this with the impression that C&D were assigned certain rights which they could sell as they wished. If I am wrong perhaps you could initiate correspondence with the new vendor/blender. If you designed the old label, did you retain your rights to the image? Or, did you assign those rights to C&D in perpetuity?
If you took no steps to protect your, rights you are most likely up the proverbial creek, lacking the proper propulsion device.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
In today's age where anti-tobacco crusader's are lurking around every corner, I am not surprised that C&D is moving away from cartoon artwork. Especially Cartoons that could be viewed by the anti-tobacco crowd as targeted towards children.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I feel for you, Bob. While the most important this is what's in the tin I always enjoyed the sense of whimsy that the C&D tin art had. No doubt this move is about cost cutting but I'm saddened by the decision.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
" I simply will refrain from any further promotion of my blend. "
I'll believe this when I see it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.