PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Wanted to start this thread on one of my old favorites, Captain Black in the White Can. " A rich black cavendish and mellowed burleys, exceptionally mild, delightfully aromatic". Room note is great, and so is taste is sipped slowly. I knew an old codger many years ago who smoked nothing else, his entire life, and was a great collector of Dunhill pipes. He was my Uncle Max, and every 4th of July picnic I remember clouds of Captain Black wafting through the picnic. No one hid the kids or complained either! A lot of people say its full of humectants like PG, and some say it can ruin a pipe with its ghosts, but I have a pipe or two dedicated to it. Anyone else out there enjoy the Captain?

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I used to smoke a lot of Captain Black White.....But once I started smoking 1Q I drifted away!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I started on CB White but like bowhatchie I moved away from it when I found 1Q*! It is a great blend though and I am glad that a lot of new smokers have access to this blend because of grocery stores!
*I happen to be smoking it now!*

openbook

Lurker
May 6, 2011
Since I've heard a lot of good about 1Q, I just checked it out at tobaccoreviews.com. Strangely, there are a large number of one-star ratings, despite its excellent reputation here amongst you distinguished pipe smokers.
Perhaps because it's such a popular and well-known tobacco, it attracts a lot of new smokers, who blame the blend for the bad smoke that they really got because they aren't very experienced yet. Any thoughts?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That was the first tobacco I bought when I started smoking a pipe, mainly because I was familiar with the aroma and remembered liking it. I think it's a fine smoke and I take some in my pouch when I go out now because other people seem not to mind the smell of it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
@ Openbook:
1Q isn't meant to be very exciting. It is a utilitarian smoke; mild, pleasant room note, and familiar.

As I have stated (on numerous occasions, thus the ribbing I take) that I use Lawrence :D 1Q as my "go to" smoke for several reasons; primarily because I don't want complexity all the time, and it serves well as a palate cleaner.

I'll smoke it for a few bowls, or even a week before I smoke something I want to think about. I seem to enjoy those "boutique" blends all the more for it.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I started with Captain Black White and still schmoke it. At least one or two bowls in the garage while woodworking or just putzing around. Its a blend that I can concentrate on woodworking and still enjoy.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
In regards to your question about the one star ratings... I would offer this... and it is true for many other blends as well... too many folks review a tobacco when it is not even in their class of acceptable smokes...
Folks who greatly favor Latakia, and or English blends... usually give Aro's a bad rap... and vice versa with some dedicated Aro smokers reviewing an English blend and then giving it a poor rating..WHAT DID THEY Expect?
Of course there are those who like both and here you get a true unbiased rating..

Just my thoughts.

Bow

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i always keep some of the captain around. usually white, gold, and royal. at the moment though i am out of the royal.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thought I'd throw in that Captain Black (White) is also a great cake builder on new pipes.

Sure is... but it bears watching, because it does build up pretty fast.

So, some attention after each smoke is a good idea. e.g. screwing in a paper towel to smooth it out and remove the excess moisture.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Perhaps because it's such a popular and well-known tobacco, it attracts a lot of new smokers, who blame the blend for the bad smoke that they really got because they aren't very experienced yet. Any thoughts?
I think that most of the one star ratings come, not from beginners, but from those who have been smoking for a few years and are convinced that they have learned all there is to know about pipes and tobacco. They've carefully learned all the buzz words and learned how to correctly spell the names of all the varietals. They've noticed that many experienced smokers tend to prefer the more complex blends and have embraced that idea even though they have no real concept of what they're smoking.
Every B&M seems to have a few of them who love nothing better than to spot a newcomer and belittle their choices in pipes and tobacco. They're usually easy to spot, the first words out of their mouths are nearly always "I only smoke ENGLISH blends". :puffpipe:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I smoke almost anything depending on the mood. Like now I'm enjoying my nth bowl of Capn' Black (White), but I hadn't had the Capn for over a year and just decided to revisit the blend. On other days, in other moods (depending on the wife...just kidding), its English and Balkan Blends for me. So I don't follow either extreme and pretty much enjoy anything that's worth smoking.
By the by, off topic, a real crazy smoke that I recently tried, that is in its own category is McClelland's Drama Reserve in their Orientals Series. What an unusual smoke!!!
Lastly, great pics of you guys on the thread. I just posted my ugly mug there.
Cheers,

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
kcvet67, very true! I enjoy a nice glass of scotch or brandy; I like to smell the developing bouquet and taste the subtleties of flavors but I also drink at least a Pepsi a day! I also enjoy complex coffee that I can get into the coffee pairing zone with, but a simple cup of black coffee that tastes like coffee with a slice of pie is great! Just like with drinks I enjoy tobacco just as much when it is simple and I am not in the mood to think about it very much, just to enjoy a good book & bowl!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I like it! Though now I tend to buy the 7 Seas blends which are very similar to CB and less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.