PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashman

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
So far most of the aromatics that I have tried are from Lane or Captain Black, which in my understanding, is the same company. From Lane I have tried the LL-7, RLP-6, 1-Q, and BCA. From Captain Black I have tried the Dark, Royal, and Regular (white pouch). I have been hearing great reviews from Lane, but I think I like the Captain Black better. Am I alone here?

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I haven't tried Captain Black yet. I purchased four oz of 1-Q and it's now sitting in a mason jar feeling pretty lonely, and I'll probably just end up giving it away. I just couldn't warm up to it. But Captain Black - I can get that around the corner at the local tobacco store. I should give it a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not an aromatic smoker first, but I do enjoy an aro or two in the rotation, to freshen my taste buds for

the English, Va/Per, and burley blends. Somehow, I've never gotten to the pouch of Captain Black that's

been haunting my cellar for more than a year. So maybe now I will. I find 1Q a little too low key, preferring

LL-7 for having more flavor and interest. If I want that low key experience, I go for Carter Hall or Lanes

Burley Without Bite. Your 1Q may serve as a mix with other tobaccos, like blending Perique or Black Cavendish,

if you want to play around with that. Some of my better smokes have been home mixed.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I think The Captain has more p/g on it to give it more of a shelf life? I like 1Q and Lane's Hazlenut better but Captain works in a pinch. You might want to check out Mac Baren Seven Seas blends if you get a chance. The Royal is nice!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I love CB and Lane. I know alot of people call them the same, but there is a difference. I haven't found a lane blend I don't like either, as for CB I'm not fond of the gold.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
You are not alone... I prefer the captain in almost every respect. I don't particularly enjoy the round taste or the royal; and as a general rule I avoid cherry unless I'm smoking hookah. So I have a tub of white and gold, but dark has quickly become my favorite. I wish they had it available in tubs too, but I might buy some in bulk just the same.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Let me address the Lane 1Q issue. I seldom smoke this straight, but keep a few ounces on hand to mix with other tobaccos. My go to is 1Q mixed 50/50 with H&H Louisiana Red. I load my MM Washington cob with this to mow the lawn every week. A nice slightly sweet virginia blend that's good to puff on while doing chores. I also mix it with C&D Autumn Evening to mellow out the sweetness of the maple flavor. This tobacco has many uses, so before you get rid of it, try mixing it with something else. Experimenting like this can be fun and lead to some good smokable blend. The only captain I have any experience with is captainsousie, (the Stig) who sold me one of my favorite pipes, a Cooper billiard. Thanks cap!

Have fun with the tobacco experiments..... :puffy:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Capt'n Black Dark is the best of the rest!
Way better than Capt'n Black (White) and RLP-6 which are NOT the same thing, but different recipes due to patents.
1-Q is in a class of its own: Virginia Cavendish. Legend has it that if you have some non-aromatic mixture you hate, you can mix it with 1-Q and viola, it is fantastic (unconfirmed).
BCA is what all other vanilla Cavendish's ought to be.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
After reading my own post a second time, my 1-Q line reminded me of a friend who is a cook (not a chef) who told me you can fix anything with cheese or bacon. I guess 1-Q is to pipe tobacco what cheese and bacon are to food.

Status
Not open for further replies.