PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
So last week I was on my way to the cottage and then realized that I had forgotten to bring any tobacco. So when I went in town I stopped at the local carry out to see if they had anything. Captain Black White was the only brand that the guy had behind the counter. So being desprate I bought it. Now last time I tried this brand (years ago) it actually envoked a gag reflex and never tried again.

To my suprise this was a really GREAT smoke! It didn't burn my tongue or have an aftertaste. I have been smoking this like crazy. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong all those years ago, but man I was WRONG! This really is a good solid tobacco that deserves a second chance by those of us who may think their taste has gotten too pompous.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Captan Black gets a bad rap for just the reason you described: newbies who haven't honed their technique yet try it, and then write it off.
I've tried all of the Captain Black except for the newest tinned versions. White, Royal, and Gold are good. Dark is stellar. Round Taste is not that flavorful, and Cherry tastes chemical and bites hard!!

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I enjoy the Captain Black Dark.
I laugh every time I see a post from a noob asking for tobacco suggestions, and the "experts" respond with something like, "Don't smoke Captain Black - it's crap. Instead, try this excellent mild aromatic called 1Q! It's awesome!"

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have a pouch of Capt Black, Black. I've only smoked it on its own a couple times and didn't think much of it. Not the worst I've tried but far from the best. I find myself using it when I am concocting my own blends.

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
I've been thinking coming out of the closet, and this thread is the perfect place to declare my liking the captain. I've got a bunch of one ounce samplers of tobacco, but in the end I actually enjoy smoking the captain best. The lovely room note for others is another plus. I just asked someone to bring me 6 pouches of CB from the states. I believe the trick is to leave the pouch open for a while to dry it out then it some great smoke. I enjoy sipping the smoke to savour the marshmallow taste of cb white. Hearing great things from others online I can't wait to try red black blue and gold.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I've had a lot of good tobaccos, but lately it's been Captain Black Dark. Add just a pinch of anything to change the taste dramatically.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I smoked Captain Black for several years until I wandered into a Tinder Box and discovered their "Crown Royale" blend which was a very mild aromatic. I remember that as an epiphany at the time. It was so much of an improvement and further contributed to my enjoyment of the pipe.
Then the Captain Black premium blends recently came along and I tried a tin of "Black Seas" which wasn't bad, but still not stellar. I might try ordering a pouch of the original someday just to revisit old times.

Status
Not open for further replies.