PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Yesterday I've received 3 boxes (18 pouches) of Captain Black Regular as a gift. Actually I didn't like the flavour of it, it is extra mild. I am think of blending it with Captain Black Light which its falvour is medium by ratio 2:5 (light:regular). What are your opionins for this blend? while both are burleys and cavindish, the effect will be only the favlour, that's my point.
so who argree with me? do you have any other suggestions of what I can blend with CB regular? I can only have Borkum Riff, and all Davidoff mixtures here in Saudi, so selection is very limited

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I like to layer a mild tobacco. For instance, I like to smoke Drum which is a RYO; I put layer of drum then layer of Penzance or 1792, then another layer of drum and so on till bowl is full.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@nfisher

I didn't try layering the pipe before, but have to give it a trial. I'm going to make the blend i mentioned and will tell you the result

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Here is the result, blending CB regular with CB light by ratio 4:1 was really good, the falvour enhanced and taste got a little bit heavier. I loved it too much.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
You could always try selling or trading it on here... I'm sure it would go fairly quickly and you could always keep a couple for blending etc.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@snewton
Hope I could trade or sell, but I don't live in USA, anyhow I liked the blend and it enjoys me, so there is no reason for selling or trading.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Fair one, If you can make your own blend and enjoy it then all the better. Where do you live? I'm in the U.K. and also slightly frustrated that everything on here is based on the U.s. (sponsors and suchlike)

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@snewton
I'm egyptian, but right now I live and work in Saudi Arabia for next 2 years. Btw, it is very hard to get tobacco and pipes here in Saudi Arabia, is it hard too in UK? I think you don't have any issues regarding to pipes and tobacco in UK

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
It is fine to buy online but there are very very few proper tobacconist shops anywhere. If you look on the pipe store locator there are only two listed for the U.K. big enough to mention. Luckily I live in a town where there is one but there are only a handful in at any time. About 40 in the display.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I much prefer Lane's 1Q, which is the refined version of CB Blue. I forgot which version is the refined version of CB White. 1Q goops up the pipe far less and doesn't require as many relights. If you go to the right sources you can also buy it cheaper than CB. The handy thing about CB White is that it is available almost everywhere.
Smokey

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've had good luck with adding a pinch of some condiment tobaccos. I typically add latakia or perique to add some flavor and dimension to some of my more bland blends.
-Jason

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Hanymamdouh, when we lived in Riyadh, 1996 to 2001, there was a Dunhill store next to EuroMarsh Shopping complex. They carried a complete line of pipes, and tobaccos from Peterson, Dunhill, Davidoff and Nording and lots of odds and end. Their basket pipes were Savinelli and Nording seconds. There was also a nice pipe store next to the Jarir Book Store on the Northern Ring Road. Guess times have changed.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@mikemacrdlnds
I would like to thank you very very much for the valuable info. Although I live in Riyadh since two years but I've never knew about these shops. Today after finish work hours, I'm going to check both shops and I hope they still exist and sell pipes and tobacco.

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
I hope I haven't sent you on a wild goose chase. Riyadh has changed quite a lot in the 11 years since I have been there. I hope you find something.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Dear Mr. Mike,
I've tried to find the shop near Jarir Bookstore but didn't find it, are you sure it was next Jarir in the northern ring road, or another branch of Jarir?
For Dunhil Store they told me it had been moved to another location, So, I'm still looking for the new location.
If you can remeber any other info that can help I will be very glad.

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
Hanymamdoug, Sent you to the wrong Jarir. Go to the one on Olaya Rd. There should be one there, or next to it. If not try the Al Faisaliah mall on Olaya st or the Al Mamlaka Mall also on Olaya. The Sahara Mall on King Abdul Aziz Rd might still have a pipe shop.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.