PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I got a coupon to get a pouch of Captain Black for almost free so I thought why not. It wasn't what I expected at all. From the posts on here I was expecting a damp gooey mass that smelled strongly and stuck to my poor pipe like mud. What I got was a sweet smelling pouch of dried out tobacco that broke when I was packing my pipe. It smelled good so I went on with it. There was very little flavor and I think what flavor there was was ghosted from my PA. Woodsmoke has more flavor and body than this did. It didn't burn hot, but it burned fast and I finished the bowl in under 15 min. It was not a satisfying smoke even though the smoke itself smelled great. My husband really liked the smell. The only use for this pouch I can see is as an additive to make other tobaccos smell better and burn faster.

I may have gotten a bad pouch so I'll give it another try in a few months. I'm glad I tried it but will stick to my PA for OTC love. Poor CB just has no power.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Sounds like yours may have been sitting for quite some time before you got it, my pouch is still quite moist. It won't knock your socks off by any means but it is definitely pleasant for others and when "fresher" has some flavour to it. Several other members mix it with CH or PA just to get the nice aroma with a more full flavour. I still enjoy it even though I'm branching off into some non-aros right now.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It is almost like smoking pure black cavendish with nothing else in it, however I love pure black cavendish, so this blend is fine. It does lack flavor however and is more for a light aromatic smoker than anyone else. PA has way more flavor, if you put this in a pipe that has been ghosted by PA, of course you'll get no flavor. To get a feel for it, try it in a pipe reserved for light aromatics. I like to use cobs for my aros and briars for my VA and English blends.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The pouch sounds like it was old as the hills.
A new pouch definitely contains a wet gooey mass - not just a damp one.
It was my first pipe tobacco and it is probably the only pipe tobacco you will find on all continents.
That doesn't mean it is good tobacco, however...
A lot of people argue about its merits but to me it does not present a very satisfying smoke. I saw a time and place for it at once, but I have long since moved on.
All pipe tobacco is processed, but CB is processed to the hilt.
I used to like the vanilla/scorched marshmellow aroma but the last time I tried it I couldn't get past the chemical taste of artificial sweeteners and flavouring.
PA is more my style, but it is still too strongly flavoured for my liking and it leaves a less than satisfactory aftertaste.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
ha ha. I read this thread with humor since I've gone to 10 stores in the Seattle Area to find this stuff and I CAN NOT FIND IT ANYWHERE. I finally ended up ordering it online but I picked the wrong retailer because It's not schedule to be here for another week. This is more a quest at this point than an actual pursuit of smoking.

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
This is more a quest at this point than an actual pursuit of smoking.
This was fun to read :)
It was probably my first or second pipe tobacco I ever tried, but I can't imagine going back to it, even though I really like aromatics... I have to smoke outside, so CB has no value there. In a living room, it's quite nice, once in a while, but outside (especially if there's any wind) it's practically useless, imho...

extrasample

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
Z ! They have it at my local gas station they have all flavors. Under seven bucks a pouch. Sounds like you got it but.. FYI WA peeps check your Indian reservations bet they will have them. ! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.