PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
C&D tins have yellow sticker dates on the bottom of the tins. They also tin Capt. Earle, Pease, Two Friend and Castello lines.
I recently purchased the below Capt. Earle blends, however it seems there's a discrepancy with the dates on the bottoms. The left tin is more significant than the other because if the date format as I understand it(mm/dd/yy) reads correctly, it was tinned at December 11th of THIS year. I don't own a DeLorean, with Mr. Fusion mod, but if I did, I wouldn't be mucking around with buying pipe tobacco.
The other would be the tin on the right which IS A correctly past dated tin, but was stamped on Christmas Day. I know that C&D is a US company, and most are closed on 12/25. I could be wrong, but it's just something that came across as odd.
Is the sticker on the bottom an actual date code? Or is it a manufacturing code, with a secret decoder ring needed to identify the tinned date?
tin_dates_zpsebbc2a16.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Interesting. I'll look through some of my C&D/CaptE/2Friends/Castello tins and see what they reveal vs. my propensity to date the tins with my date of receipt. I think the McClelland tins use a convention that starts with a code for the blend recipe, then the date. But, like you, I thought C&D was purely a date code.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.