PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Blue or Yellow? I have tried neither and I am a general lover of Virginias. How would you rate the two? I don't mind some light casing but dislike when it's too heavy on a Virginia.
Edit: Well, it looks like they sold out of Blue so my choice has been made for me. I would still like to hear opinions that you might have.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I too would be interested in the feedback. The blue seems to listed to have a bit more strength on Smokingpipes, but on P&C they're both listed as mild. How does each differ in strength?

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I don't think the blue is particularly strong, more a medium strength. The last time I had a tin of each open at the same time I found myself reaching for the blue more often and I am a person who prefers mild tobacco. I just saw that SP sold out of blue. My decision is whether to go for the yellow or get the blue ready rubbed.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have only tried the yellow/gold and found it to be very mild. I don't know if they case it or not, but if they do, then I can't detect it. It a good, bright, straight Virginia flake that is definitely worth a purchase. I prefer Dunhill flake or Orlik Golden Sliced, but it is still a fine VA flake.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I love them both, but prefer the blue. It is a bit more full flavored baccy IMHO, but they are both mild, all day type smokes. Capstan Blue is an all-time classic and I probably have more tins of it than anything else in my cellar. :)

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Nothing to add really except that I'd kill to be able to get Cap Blue in bulk.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yellow has a somewhat sweet and citrus flavor with just enough tang to get your salivary glands working.

It is mild-to-medium in flavor, body, and strength; and produces a good volume of smoke. A nice unflavored Danish flake.

I think it's an excellent choice for a Va Flake beginner, or for someone looking for an "all day long" Va flake.

For me, it's an excellent breakfast smoke as it is mild, yet tasty. Capstan Blue is deeper, darker, and more flavorful.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thank you for the input, it sounds like I would like them both. I ordered 5 tins of the Yellow and enjoy a light, clean Virginia so it sounds like I will enjoy it. Since I was ordering the tins, I figured I might as well throw in a Rhodesian. :lol: I mean, why not? I'm already paying the shipping.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think Cortez summed it up nicely. I've smoked both;I prefer the Original - the blue. It rather reminds me of the Murray version of Dunhill Flake. I smoked both in the ready-rubbed. I'm definitely going to pick up some more, for both short-term and long-term smoking.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is an interesting question for you lot. Was Capstan ever sold in a round tin in a spun out ready rubbed style? I remember sometime in the early 1980s buying a red tin of that tobacco from the station kiosk tobacconist in Ilford, East London. The tin was round like the old Three Bums tins. I just wondering if that was Capstan Red or something else since I do remember the Capstan Blue coming in resealable blue plastic pouches. Just a random Sunday thought for my fellow Brits.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I held off on my order and patience was rewarded. Capstan Blue came back in stock at SP with the 20% discount still on. :mrgreen:

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
My patience was well rewarded as well :) Thought about going for the yellow just to take advantage of the deal but held off. Glad I did.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Enjoyed a bowl of Yellow in my new (to me at least) Rhodesian. It was indeed a mellow and tasty Virginia. Hopefully the sale holds till I get some more TAD funds and I will grab some Blue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.