PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Summary: a blend of light Virginias that provides a sweet, non-complex smoking flavor and mild nicotine.
This simple blend gets the pipe smoker as close as possible to the cigarette experience. It is near-monochromatic in flavor, having bonded bright and darker Virginias into a chord, with a sweet taste reminiscent of grain or hay with an earthy lower boundary from the darker Virginias. It lights easily and stays lit well and, like a really good cigarette, delivers a consistent flavor that is both non-distracting and pleasurable. If you like light Virginia flakes, this is a good one to keep around.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1090#review83617
A good mellow smoke, feels and smell cigarettish at times.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Love Capstan Blue. A great Virginia that doesn't hit me as hard as FVF.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I find it very enjoyable when I'm distracted because I'm trying to do something complex, but want a little lift from the pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Original Navy Cut is composed of pure Virginias, but the pressing and aging has converted some of their sugar and acid into a more hay-like flavor, the partial decomposition of the leaf having released its most irksome elements. What remains is a sweet smoke, with slightly more Nicotine (PBUH) than the average medium smoke, which burns evenly and rewards small “sips” or short slow puffs, as one might take while hammering out words on a typewriter. It also admirably complements the smell of typewriter ribbon, for whatever that is worth.
Virginia flakes such as this tend to appeal to either new smokers who want a blend that is sweet and strong like a cigarette, or to the experienced who can nurse a pipe for hours. Since Tolkien was a master pipe smoker, he fit the latter category, and apparently always kept a pipe going with this and other blends to power himself through late-night endurance test writing sessions.
http://www.deathmetal.org/review/smoking-with-tolkien-capstan-original-navy-cut/
Complete with Tolkien-inspired hard rock, progressive rock and heavy metal playlist.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I enjoy this quite a bit as well. Last two tins I put one into the oven at 180F for two hours to stove it and then mixed it with the other tin and it came out real nice. I think it adds a lot of flavor and to me and improves on a good blend already.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
It is one of my all time fav smokes. It provides lots of subtle aromas and is easy to pack and smoke. That being said from Virginia flake freak. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.