PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecobb

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Norway
Well, I really want to taste the same-ish tobacco that Tolkien smoked, but alas, Capstan Navy Cut Medium is long gone. Some say Original, but I trust his son who´s said Medium.
Does anyone know of something similar?

joecobb

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Norway
I´m looking for something similar to the old Navy Cut Medium, but I have no idea when it disappeared, so I guess I need input from someone who has smoked said tobacco.
I might give them a shot anyways, thanks, Mike.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I think you'd need to go back in time and have the same exact tobaccos, and growing conditions to get that. The thing about a product that is grown, harvested, cured, aged, and blended, is from crop to crop things can taste very different. Same goes for whisky. Single malts will taste vastly different from year to year.
I would just grab some Capstan Blue, and call it good.
FYI, it is good stuff.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Joecobb, the Capstan Blue is a winner. I think Tolkien, if he were around today, dealing with today's blends, would go for the big Blue. It's good. Real good.

joecobb

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Norway
I just bought an empty tin of Capstan Navy Cut Medium... will look great in my quite respectable Tolkien collection!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If I’m not mistaken, Capstan Blue is the medium one, with Yellow being lighter and Brown being stronger. Capstan Brown was not reissued in the U.S. when Yellow and Blue were by MacBaren several years ago and I believe it’s not even available in Europe any longer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Capstan Blue Flake is one of the finest VA flakes on the market. It ages very nicely and it also smokes great fresh. I smoke the Blue on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.