Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Capstan Flakes Anyone (Tried It)?

(20 posts)
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on their Capstan Original (former Medium) and Capstan Gold (former Mild) flakes. Has anyone smoked these and how do you like them. Thanks.

Edit: Fixed the capitalization and added a "clarifier", L.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I smoked quite a bit of Capstan Blue, but it's been a good while. IIRC, it's fairly mild, well aged out of the tin, with that quality virginia fruity note, and very flavorful. I'm thinking it would likely be right up your alley.

BTW, where did you find it? I thought Capstan was not available in the USA.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto, where are you buying?

BTW, Harris, have you tried GLP Triple Play? Might be your cup of tea -- very strong and flavorful, but requires careful sipping. I really like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This place has it in stock. http://synjeco.com/pataall/taba/4040.php?i5s10

I used to buy my Three Nuns here back in the beginning of the decade. You have to jump through a couple of hoops to order,plus shipping is usually very high, but it is what it is.

Pitchfork, I am sure I would love the flavor of Triple Play but it will bite me bad as it is a red Virginia dominant blend, and I cannot smoke those. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitchfork, I am sure I would love the flavor of Triple Play but it will bite me bad as it is a red Virginia dominant blend, and I cannot smoke those. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I totally forgot. I remember your writing that once or twice about red VA's. Plenty of other good ones out there, though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Luckily I have found many great flakes I can smoke with little to no red's. I spent a long time smoking those and burning the shit out of my tongue till I figured out what was doing it. It is a shame because I do love their flavor.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ahh ... Synjeco, the Swiss Army Knife of inaccessible Euro pipe tobacco blends

Yep, they have it. Is it worth paying what they want for Capstan (and for that matter, any of the other inaccessible blends)?

I'd have to say no, unless things (and prices) have changed.

But then, I'm huge on value and a tightwad. YMMV.

I also see a message, the proverbial carrot at the end of the stick, that says something about contacting them for "a special offer that will make them (Three Nuns, Captsan), and the shipping, even more economically attractive."

WTF does that mean?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. plet

plet

Login to Send PM

No problems with tax authorities when ordering tobacco from another country?

I have a weak spot for Billard-, Canadian-, Liverpol- and Poker-style pipes from Comoy and Dunhill...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I (and others on this forum) have had orders from Mr. Snuff in Ireland shipped to the U.S. without any problems.

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plet, I have had no issues ordering tobacco from Switzerland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. alancairns

alancairns

Login to Send PM

Capstan medium is an old favourite of mine. It resembles Orlik GS, really. I used to smoke it back in the seventies, and recently caught up with it at http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/capstan-original-navy-cut-50g-cans-p-1646.html. I've ordered from them a couple of times with no problems.

Alan

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cig - I'm fond of Capstan Blue - it's interesting that my aged tins aren't all that different than the new stuff. I've found the same with Dunhill Light Flake vs. Flake. Maybe these light VAs don't go through as drastic a change as bigger Vas like FVF. CB is heavier than DH, more like Rotary or Holger Dansk Navy Flake. It's richer to me than DHF or F&T Vintage. OGS is similar, but has a bitter ending for me.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

IIRC, Capstan is on the mild side, but more flavorful than OGS. That said, I can see where OGS would age better than Capstan. Capstan Blue is what it is, and what it is was quite good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. lowfrequency538

lowfrequency538

Login to Send PM

I was thinking about ordering from Synjeco for the first time. How long does it typically take to get stuff from them to us here in the good ole USA?

I've never ordered from overseas, so please excuse my noobishness.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

i use to smoke capstan flake and three nuns 25+ years ago. can`t get it here in the united states.i ordered capstan from mr. snuff, the blue ready rubbed, i did not care for it. i prefer the flake. shipping cost are high as well as the tobac. the cost is way too high for me. can anyone suggest a replacment for capstan or three nuns in the flake version?

thanks.

mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alan, you should order from Synjeco, the prices are a 1/4 of the site you linked.

Les, thanks for the comparisons. It sounds right up my alley. I have never tried the Holger Dansk Navy Flake, where do you find it?

mlyvers, the only thing I have found that is slightly similar to Three Nuns is Wessex Sovereign Curly Cut. It looks like TN, but the perique is no where near as strong. It is a nice blend but, it ain't TN.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Speaking of 3 Nuns, how does it compare with Peter Heinrich's Curly Cut? I just got a tin of Curly Cut and really like it -- very smooth, leathery, oily VA's with some depth added from the Perique. It's a little cigar-like, too, if you know what I mean. Easy to pack and keep lit in any case.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lowfrequency538, I haven't ordered from them in a while but usually a couple of weeks.

pitchfork, I have never tried the Heinrichs I had always thought it had no Perique. Is it a Perique bomb? If not then it is not like Three Nuns, it is probably like the Wessex Sovereign where the Perique is in the background and not in your face.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Def not a perique bomb. My label clearly says VA and Perique, although I've heard of a regular "curly" only having VA's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. plet

plet

Login to Send PM

I (and others on this forum) have had orders from Mr. Snuff in Ireland shipped to the U.S. without any problems.

Plet, I have had no issues ordering tobacco from Switzerland.

Thanks. I'll might give it a go then

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dottiewarden, pipesinperu, mso489, plateauguy, bullbriar, newsense, yabo71, purplemotoman, apatim, brewshooter, kanaka95, lincolnsbark, lockjaw, condorlover1, jimburg77, cobguy, pflan, pitchfork, metarzan, buzkirk, peckinpahhombre, allan, sidious, numbersix, easterntraveler, davidintexas, rwramsey, elliott, jfox520