Capstan, Christmas Cheer, Stokkebye Navy Flake.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
All three of them taste just about the same. Christmas cheer and Capstand seem to be very similar. something is a bit different about the Stokkebye Navy Flake which certainly doesn't mean it is the lesser quality of the three and it's much much easier on the wallet. Staring to wonder if listening to all the praise on tobacco blends is just a marketing ploy lol!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
All three of them taste just about the same.
Each of these is quite different, actually. I prefer the Xmas Cheer over the other two by quite a bit.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Not really sure haven't tried 965. I've tried the others but not back to back like I just did this afternoon with these var pars. I'm not trying to sound negative so I apologize if I do. But these the baccy I tried tonight are so incredibly similar. I can tell the difference but it's so subtle to mean that it's kind of no point in spending more cash for capstan vs Stokkebye. For me anyways.. So in the end I guess it does make me happy. The difference between them isn't so great. For example coke vs Pepsi. Now I can tell a big difference there. But the difference in these tobaccos aren't like that.
I'll have to get me some capt black and lane 1q soon and give my report :)

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
All three of them taste just about the same.
8O Um, no. All three are in the general 'Virginia' category. Other than that they are definitely different. Did you use tobacco at all before trying a pipe? Maybe they all taste the same because they all taste like tobacco. If that is the case, maybe you should try some heavy aromatics if you want some variety?

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
No Isaac I haven't. I just received the baccy today. I'm an ex chew tobacco guy so maybe that has something to do with it. Periique I, serious lol. Oh btw the capstan tin was labeled on the back with 2013. Is it unusual to receive a tin that old?

Unfortunately, Perique, I never developed a taste for alcohol. It all just taste horrid to me.

However, I wish I could like LNF as much as any other Virginia. Sort of, I agree. If you can't tell the difference, just smoke the cheapest. But, for me, I can tell the difference in Virginias. LNF is good when I want a light VaPer flake, but its no substitute for one of the other straight Virginias for me. And, I suspect that after you've had more experience with pipes, you'll probably look back and think this was funny. As funny as me and beers, ha ha.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Pick one of these tobaccos, and smoke it exclusively. Smoke at least eight ounces before you smoke anything else, then try one of the others. Report back to us when all is said and done.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I need to do some validation through the Monell Chemical Senses Center or some similar scientific institute, but what sticks in my mind is that the bell shaped curve for our species characterizes humans as 25% 'super-tasters', 50% normal while 25% can't taste much of anything. So it isn't surprising to me that some folks would not be able to distinguish IPAs from lagers (by taste), or that to them many VAs, even containing Perique, could be about the same.
Like art and music, you can heighten your discrimination by training. When I ran wine-tastings, by a sequence of judicious pairings I could train tyros who couldn't tell a French Bordeaux from a Cali Pinot Noir to be able to do just that (pretty simple actually). I just heard on NPR that there are a lot more synapses involved in the brain to translate into speech the stimuli that are pumped quite directly from the olfactory glands to the central brain. Although the brain does more processing to figure out images from the retina and optic nerve, evidently it is a shorter route to the language centers. Thus it is easier for us to desctibe what we see than what we taste and smell.
In Western society, the vocabulary and nomenclature to describe smells and tastes are spartan. With tastes there are the familiar poles of sweet, sour etc., and it was only recently that the dimension of umami was developed. But after that, we are stuck with analogies to fruit, flowers and such. It's almost like trying to describe a Monet vs. a Jackson Pollock with only 5 words for color, shape, size and brightness. With that 5 word vocabulary, you would have to say those 2 paintings are the same.
So hak, in a way you are blessed if you enjoy PSLNF as much as Capstan. But it is likely with a few hundred more bowls, your tastes will evolve.
hp

les

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Cosmic - If you can't tell the difference between a single malt/grain and Southern Comfort you should just stop drinking.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Lestrout is probably correct. Some people just can't detect the differences in taste and aromas that other people do. Just like some people have a better ability to hear music then those who are tone-deaf. In my opinion, IPAs = the taste of pine needles fresh from the tree. Lagers = clean taste (by my definition) with a slightly bitter aftertaste. I would never confuse Christmas Cheer with Capstan Blue and I smoke both. I can be blindfolded and can pick up each tin and tell you which one is Capstan and which one has the vinegary/ketchup aroma of Christmas Cheer 2014.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
With Capstan Blue Flake(my favorite) I can really taste the grassy tang of the Virginias, and PS Luxury Navy Flake or the Twist Flake are a similar tasting flake but not as rich in flavor. With Christmas Cheer it's a much more vinegary, katsup taste I associate with McClelland Virginia tobaccos. I would say the the Christmas Cheer has a lot more in common with 5100 Red Cake then with Capstan. Maybe you're getting some ghosting over between blends and your pipe needs a good cleaning.

I am with Cosmic when it comes to beer though...... PBR, Pilsner, or Labatt's Blue all taste the same to me but I'm more of a Rum man personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.