PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Now normally I don't smoke flakes but for some reason I found myself in my local B&M and the stack of Capstan tins caught my eye. Never tried it before and didn't know much about it but for some reason I just needed to try a tin. Man, I was blown away, it was so good and tasty. My buddy Morton had spoken to me at length about his love of flakes and Virginias but it never really sunk in until now. I rub my flakes out rather then the fold-n-stuff method but I cannot deny the amazing flavor of this tobacco gem. If your new to flakes and virginias then you owe it to yourself to give this classic a try.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I really enjoy Capstan Blue, not too heavy, not too light. And you don't have go on Grail searches to get it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like it, too. I've a few tins aging and currently have one open to smoke.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
capstan blue is to the briarist what carter hall is to the cobist.
nothing fancy...just a damn good smoke.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Admittedly, I haven't picked up any of the current version but I did enjoy the original.
Lochinvor said "I really enjoy Capstan Blue, not too heavy, not too light. And you don't have go on Grail searches to get it."
You don't have to....anymore. There was a day when it was a very tough to get flake.
Mike S.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm glad you've ventured into the world of flakes, blue! Now you'd better duct tape your wallet shut because there are lots of really good ones out there and your TAD might just kick in hard!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I bought 5 tins to try, but I'm going to age them a year before cracking one. Isn't the original Blue flake one of JRR Tolkien's smokes?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Capstan Blue is an excellent flake indeed, and if you like it, you'll probably like these as well;
Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster

Mac Baren Virginia Flake

Orlik Golden Sliced

Mac Baren Roll Cake (coins)

And many more......

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I just tried Capstan Blue recently and was also very impressed. It's got a solid VA flavor with some depth, but remains very well-behaved in packing and burning - a rare combination in my experience. It seems like many of the easy-to-smoke VA's I've tried manage it by throwing some Burley in there or sticking to the light end of the flavor spectrum. Capstan has got more going on than those. I had read quite a few reports that the RR and Flake were basically identical, but was surprised to find just the opposite. For my taste and packing style, the flake is a lot more flavorful. The RR was very subdued, with a sort of baked bread note for the first half of the bowl, until a slight spiciness (not of the Perique variety) showed up towards the end. With the flake, that spiciness is there almost from the beginning and it's a much finer smoke for it.
Despite the relatively high cost, I picked up five more tins of Blue Flake to lay down for the future. The flavor profile is such that I think it will age marvelously.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Capstan Blue is one of my top blends - easy to smoke and very tasty; what's not to like! I have some sitting in the cellar (box in the conservatory!) and only avoid diving into it by buying and smoking Mac Baren Navy Flake. A real hardship!
Andy

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I just received my first tine of this a few days ago. It is a fine smoke, and one I anticipate purchasing to cellar. Very easy to keep lit. No bite. Sweet Virginias. Wonderful.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Tried some Orlik Golden Slices and have to say that Capstan is tastier to me. Not sure if it's the Virginia I'm tasting but I'm loving it!,

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have one of these and one Veermaster in the cellar waiting for a year or two.
Im sure it'll be worth it

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I've been smoking Capstan Blue ready rubbed regularly of late, and basically agree with everyone so far, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.