PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Since I had to get free shipping, I bought 10 Blue Capstan Flakes and one Gold Flake. I was going to buy just one of each, but I figured I will probably like the Blue enough to age some.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Got my order in, but didn't beat Harris. Rats. Lost again. Harris, you are too quick for me. I can only hope that SP doesn't run out in months to come.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yep got the email this morning, just ordered a tin of blue, plus another Marlin Flake, and a couple CVP's. Putting that birthday $$ to good use!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ted, have you smoked this new version and if so how does it compare to the old one? Also what blends would you compare the Blue and Gold Flakes to? Would the Blue be similar to say Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and the Gold similar to Orlik Golden? if I really like the Blue and Gold I can see me getting 80 or so tins each.

tonibaruch

Lurker
Nov 20, 2011
Milan, Italy
What I knew (but maybe I am completely mistaken) was that mac baren did them before. And now they sold the license to Orlik and will continue to produce their blue and yeloow flake under mac baren name.
Is this wrong?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
toni, I think Ted made it pretty clear that Mac Baren is now making all these blends. If anyone would know it would be him. I am glad it is Mac Baren, because if it was Orlik, I could see them just renaming things like Dunhill Flake and Golden sliced, where as Mac Baren will put their own stamp on the recipes. If they make this stuff as good as their Old Dark Fired, we could have some serious winners here. I was just notified my package was shipped so it should be here on Thursday. I have not been this psyched to try a couple of blends in a while.

tonibaruch

Lurker
Nov 20, 2011
Milan, Italy
Thanks. In the meanwhile I read the article on the magazine and definitely understood i got the story completely wrong.

I don'tknow if it was me or some previous article I read. But what is important are the final facts. Thanks to all for the clarification!

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Ordered 3xBlue flake 2xYellow flake and 3xThree Nuns. Just in case I like them. Smokingpipes.com is my main place for tobacco and pipes, but this would've been a good place for a staff review. I now know that the pre hiatus Three Nuns rates 4 1/2 STARS. Hoping this one is good.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Having been smoking the VaKen Three Nuns a lot, and having made my opinion well known that it's not nearly as good as the VaPer version, this new version is good. It's just not magically great as it was, and pales by comparison. However, I am currently smoking the last of my aged stash of the current version, and have to say it improves a lot with age. If you buy a few tins of the new version, and aren't overly impressed, age them a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.