PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I saw this in "The Danish Pipe Shop" Newsletter: We also want to give you some quick information about Capstan and Three Nuns pipe tobaccos: Many have heard that Scandinavian Tobacco Company has stopped selling these two brands which is correct. But that doesn't mean that the brands don't exist anymore. Mac Baren has now won the rights to produce and sell these two significant and classic brands, so no worries! We have plenty. Of course that is the good news, the bad news is the shipping and taxes!

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I really hope they make Three Nuns like the old kind that everyone raves about, I'd love to try it

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I never had Capstan but back in the 1970's I did have Three Nuns (must have been my parochial school background). It was nice but I don't remember it being a Holy Grail smoke. If I get the chance again, I'll give it a try to see what I may have missed the first time around.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Orlik Three Nuns subbed Kentucky for perique. It's good, but not great. If they switch back to the VaPer version, I'll be the happiest pipe smoker on the planet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The Three Nuns I smoked with Perique was a world class blend and definitely on par and maybe even better than Escudo. The new version is an abomination because it has no Perique. I am hoping that Mac Baren makes the Capstan and Three Nuns from the original recipes, but am not sure they will.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
If Per Georg Jensen is in charge of the recipes, they will use the old mixes, if the accountants are in charge, it will be produced cheaper than the current production and probably will be a shadow it it's former self, which already was a shadow of the original one. ;)
Best regards,

Peter

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dark Fired is about $2.50 per pound, while Perique is over $8.00 per pound (according to the latest figures I could find). Bean counters aside, it seems more dark fired would go into the blend than perique, but even still, I wonder what the market would be for the Perique version vs. the current recipe. I would think the "real" Perique version would be much more popular, but by how much of a margin?
Maybe the upcoming announcement will have some answers.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Yes, this discussion, and speculation has been bounced around for about a month here in two other threads.
Nothing official can be stated until May 31st because of contractual arrangements. I will tell you that I have had direct, in-person discussion about this with Per Jensen, and he is in charge. I have information from a couple of other people that are directly involved as well, but the rest of the information will have to wait just a bit more.
I will publish the official news direct from the companies involved as soon as I wake up tomorrow ... which can be anywhere between 3:30 and 8:00 depending on how my night goes.
Hmmm ... come to think of it, in 1-hour from now it will be past midnight in Denmark, May 31st.
Anyway, I will start a new thread that will point to the article.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have not sampled either the old or new version of three nuns but with all of the mentions of it I'm very curious

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I've been asked to hold off posting until 12 noon eastern USA time. SPC wants me to link to a special page they are making, and it won't be ready until then.
I gave Brian the go-ahead to leak it on the radio show last night though just to see what would happen.

Dec 24, 2012
Excited about this and hope there will be an answer as to whether it is the old perique three nuns formulation or the modern formulation

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Just saw the listing on SP and the Three Nuns is the new version with no Perique. It also looks like the Capstan is the new version as well, has anyone smoked any of the new Capstan and how is it?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Is it really ALL out of stock or is that just signage until things go "live"? SP can't be that flatfooted on something like this, can they?
EDIT: OK, looks like just the default for "We don't have any yet" -- according to the announcement from SP, the tobacco isn't actually for sale yet. :crazy:
2nd EDIT: OK, so they're not available until June 10. Have to say, pretty annoying.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
pitchfork, we announced this early so that customers could sign themselves up for an 'in-stock notification alert' when they do hit our doorstep. Also, we couldn't keep it a secret much longer with all the rampant speculation. So we figured it was best to make an announcement (which we haven't actually done yet, but will very, very soon) and get the site prepped for the product.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ted, I figured that is what you were doing and signed up for the Capstan. Nice to see your email notification system is working again, for a couple of weeks it was not.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
cigrmaster, thanks for the feedback. When we carried over our new-and-improved shopping cart a few months back, we had a few glitches to address with the notification system. We got it fixed right quick.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My Smoking Pipes in stock notifications still don't work.
Not happy that we aren't getting the VaPer Three Nuns. Oh well. I don't have to worry about competing with hoarders. Won't be a big deal for me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.