PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have smoked the blues and the reds back in the day. I am interested to give it another whirl again and see if they have messed with my memories of it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've got a tin of Capstan blue open now. I've been enjoying it and,although a certified nic wuss, I don't find this to fall on my list of nic monsters to avoid. The flavor reminds me a bit of Dunhill flake. Have a tin of the yellow, but haven't popped it yet. Both tins are mixtures,not flakes.

I think both are worth exploring, assuming that you are not expecting to be hit over the head with flavor or nicotine. :)

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I'm working on a tin of blue. It's a pretty enjoyable, laid back flake. It does have a note in the tin and when first lit that I can't quite put my finger on, not unpleasant but I just can't get the wheels to turn fast enough to match it.

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I agree with Cortez's assessment of the two. The yellow seems lighter and has more of a citrus taste and the blue heavier bodied and maybe a little sweeter. Both are excellent and I'm sure will only improve with age like most quality VA flakes.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
This may be folklore, but I read somewhere that Capstan was Tolkien's preferred blend back in his day. Three Nuns was his fellow Inkling C. S. Lewis' favored blend. Two of my favorite authors, and I hope to try these soon.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I smoked a tin of the blue. The last bowl was the best-- for me this flake really opened up the drier it got, almost crispy dry and it was superb. Haven't tried the yellow label.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have smoked the Blue, have never tried the yellow Capstan. The Blue is an enjoyable light Virginia. The Blue does not pack very much vitamin N which is fine with me since I can not take more than moderate amounts of nicotine. Capstan Blue is a very good blend and is on the light side.

Status
Not open for further replies.