PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A while back I picked up some of CAO's cigarillos of this blend and so my interest was piqued as to what the pipe blend was like. Last week I ordered up two new lighters and decided to add a tin of this blend to the order. I got it Saturday and now I only have about four bowls left in the tin. That's what's compelled me to review it.
Opening the tin I was met with a definite fruity aroma with just a hint of bourbon. I noticed it was somewhat similar to Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice. It smelled so good I loaded a bowl up right away.
As for the leaf it's a very eye pleasing combination of light and dark leaf. A nice Virginia and Cavendish blending, which seems to be of a good quality as the leaf burns evenly to a nice white ash.
When it comes to smoking this blend is pretty close to being ready to enjoy straight from the tin. It packs well and takes a char and true light very well. As mentioned before it burns nice and evenly to a white ash. The flavoring isn't overpowering but is noticeable in the smoke. Mostly a fruity flavoring in the back ground that plays off the sweet Virginia leaf. Sometimes hints of bourbon vanilla show themselves. It didn't give me any tongue bite and didn't leave a goopy mess in the bowl afterwards either. The room note was definitely pleasant. Infact I took the tin to the B&M to meet up with a friend and when I was puffing on it he asked if he could have a bowl. Ofcourse I let him fill up a pipe and he felt much the same as I did about the blend.
Overall I think this is a pretty good aromatic. It won't replace my favorite 1Q, but I probably will order a tin from time to time. If you like aromatics and are looking to try something new definitely pick up a tin.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
This is one of my favorite aromatics, it's one of my top smokes if I need something easy with zero tonguebite. Frog Morton also has no bite, but doesn't burn nearly as easy as this blend does :) I think it tastes and smells pretty fantastic, it also feels like it has an oldtimey quality to it (sorry oldtimers!).

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the review. I to have tried the cigarillos and enjoyed them. I picked up a tin of Moonrrance a while back but have yet to try it. I'll have to crack it open soon now. Thanks again!

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks for this fantastic review. You've sold me to finally try this and also Eileen's Dream. I've been wanting to try both these blends for months now but seem to keep over looking when placing my orders.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I bought a tin at my local b&m and enjoy it. I fact its what I am smoking at this very moment. Mind you I usually smoke English blends and avoid aros. Although I have to admit I habe found some wonderful aroes I enjoy. Moontrance is one, 1q, and Seven Seas are acouple of others that I turn to for a light aromatic release from my usual latakias and periques.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I always keep an open amount of this stuff. The bourbon vanilla really comes through in it. C'est magnifique.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Just finished a bowl. It smoked down to pretty much ash. Patience is the key for this stuff as its kind of wet.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I love this stuff. The only CAO blend I like more is Eileen's Dream. I keep 5 or so tins in my cellar.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I enjoyed Eileen's Dream as well. Very similar in that the casing wasn't overly powerful, just a good compliment and background flavor to the leaf. The bit I had left of the tin dried out though and when I rehydrated it it wasn't as good. Might just have to chuck the remaining ten grams and get another tin. BTW Eileen's Dream goes great with a cold glass of Bailey's Irish Cream.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I ordered Moontrance on a lark months ago. I love the smell. It's a nice change of pace, but I only find myself enjoying the first half of the bowl. After mid point it gets dull. I don't know if it's the tobacco itself or my taste buds and nose just getting "filled".
Either way it is a nice change of pace and I enjoy it every now and then.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
My wife bought me a churchwarden and a tin of Eileen's Dream for my birthday last year. It's become dedicated to that blend in particular, and smokes it quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.