PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Had an opportunity to pick up 4 tins of CAO Bella Vanilla today for just $20 and as a bargain hunter, I had to go for it despite some what being disappointed in its brother vanilla from CAO, Moontrance. Unlike Moontrance which is a mixture of different tobaccos, Bella Vanilla is a slightly rubbed out Virginia flake with a sepia monochrome look to it. Opening the tin and taking a whiff is a delight for the senses. Your nose is filled with a sweet Madagascar vanilla scent this time lacking the exotic fruit scents of Moontrance. It also lacks Moontrance's desire to bite. Bella Vanilla wants to smoke smoothly and it does smoke smoothly. It will bite if rushed but at an even, slow pace, Bella Vanilla smokes with smooth vanilla flavor. It retains that smoothness throughout the bowl, never varying much in taste as the bowl smokes down. Don't mistake that for a bad thing. BV very good and one of the best vanilla's I've tried and its well worth sampling a tin.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm interested in seeing what you think Bob, especially comparing it to Moontrance.
I just ordered one to try, my favorite vanilla is MB Vanilla Creme. How does it compare?
I haven't tried that one but I have heard its excellent!

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
On your recommendation i bought me a tin of this today and wow its every bit as good as you said it was. And it is definately a smooth smoker. Been puffing away at it like a crazy man and still no tongue bite. Will definately add this to my rotation.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I smoke a lot of MB Vanilla Creme as well as PS French Vanilla and B&B so when I saw this CAO Vanilla at a good price, I had to buy it. For me it is terrible, the worst vanilla blend I have tried. It is very flat tasting to me and while it smells good it does not impart that to the palette. Funny how one mans treasure is another mans junk.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Tell me about it. Had a friend go on and on about how great Frog Morton on the Town was. Well needless to say i ordered a 50g tin and to me it was god awful. Promptly traded it to him for some more CAO Bella Vanilla lol.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Thanks for the review of the Bella, hauntedmyst. I've been searching for a great vanilla standard smoke, and very nearly ordered this tin online from pipes & cigars. I went with a couple 2-oz samples of Altadis instead, and will post my thoughts on those asap. I've tried some vanillas from local shops that have definitely come up lacking in flavor and note (and by local shops I mean Dunhill, Nat Sherman, and Barclay--NYC has its perks). If the CAO Bella goes on sale, I'll give it a try in the future.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I smoked Bella Vanilla earlier this year and remember it being good, but then I gave away the tin so I can't try it again right now. Same with the MB Vanilla Cream. Smoked it. Liked it. Gave it away.
Note: I gave these a way, not because I didn't like them. I liked them both, but they are just not the type of tobacco I would smoke often. I found someone less fortunate that needed some tobacco and donated to the cause.
Now I wish I had both tins again so I could compare, especially after StrongIrish's comment.
Btw, not to threadjack, but we are still editing the Mac Baren video and Per Jensen had a very interesting comment about making their vanilla tobacco. He said it is the hardest one to do because there is a very thin line between too sweet and not sweet enough.
Hopefully, we'll have that up for Monday or Tuesday.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand, my memory says that both Bella Vanilla and MB Vanilla Cream were very good.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
The bella vanilla was brilliant and loving to my palate. It's strong, almost on the liqueur side, but worth the investment, and an amazing room note (note? it's a whole chord progression!). I am a fan. Posting some pics of my new Savinelli with it!

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Cao bella vanilla is the only flavored cigar i ll smoke...have yet to try the pipe tobacco but will soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.