PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird

Lurker
Jan 13, 2017
Currently i smoke captain black gold i cant taste any flavor at all and its annoying i have a no brand name pipe, i smoke it like every 5-10 sec and do 2 long smokes before break, am i doing anything wrong? Or any preffered tobacco that will help

Aromatics like Capt Black are sort of renown for not having any taste, but they'll make the room smell (good?)... hmmm, every 5-10 seconds, that would be a puff, I assume. Maybe try a non-aromatic tobacco, and look up breathsmoking.

Good luck, you have a whole bunch of "trying things" ahead of you. It's part of the fun.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
Buy some Prince Albert tobacco, decent tobacco that stays lit well that will give you some confidence. Pipe tobacco smells fabulous, but don't expect to taste a flavor bomb

Yeh, maybe it will work for you, but if I had to smoke Prince Albert early on, I would have tossed my pipe out the window of my car and then stopped and bought a cigar. Just reading the words sometimes gives me that sickening after taste of PA. But, try it... who knows... you may have the taste buds of an irrationally angry old man, which is what PA always reminds me of. :puffy:

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Carter hall, half and half, Prince Albert all taste like shiot. Hope you never have to taste those haha. If I were you I would not smoke a pipe for a week and cxomwe back to it later. Another option would be to smoke a straight Virginia as it seems to reset my palate.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"Currently i smoke captain black gold i cant taste any flavor at all"
The first part explains the second.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm a relatively new pipe smoker, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but here's what I've learned.
The first week or so of smoking my pipe I was burning the crap out of my tongue. I learned to slow down and keep my pipe just barely lit, or so I thought, and then I tasted absolutely nothing. I really think its about three things.
1. Find the right cadence for YOU

2. Let the smoke (which, by now should be cool and dry) swirl in your mouth just a while to let it hit all the taste buds (the time will vary between people)

3. Breath smoke. The flavour difference it makes is enormous
I smoke very mild blends like 1Q, or Lane BCA and get a lot of taste, but I'm starting to experiment with stronger blends. They definitely need a different cadence and time in your mouth to extract the flavours without being overpowering to the palette.
Hope this helps.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hey tbird,

welcome to the forum. Don't know how long you've been smoking a pipe, but as was mentioned it does take a little while for your tongue and mouth to get used to it. Perhaps as an experiment try a strongish non-aromatic English style blend, something like a Dunhill MyMixture 965. You can probably acquire a small amount of something like that for cheap from the in-house jars at your local tobacco / cigar shop. That will be a telling contrast to what you've been smoking.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Btw,

if you would like a stronger flavored English but also like the room note of an aromatic, try Britt's Balkan from 4 Noggins.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The biggest cause of having to relight frequently, having little taste, and getting tongue burn is loading your pipe with tobacco that's overly moist. Most tobaccos are shipped with moisture too high for the best smoke.
Try drying it down further than you think prudent and then load and enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't taste Sir Walter Raleigh at all, so this is not uncommon. Try around with blends. Many new pipe smokers like Lanes 1-Q, or the similar Lanes LL-7, but there are many many to choose from. Just buy in small quantities, 1 or 2 ounces, for a year or two while you get your bearings. Find a blend that you can smoke slowly, since sipping is what's needed. Take an easygoing attitude. If it's not enjoyable it's not worth it. Welcome aboard.
Don't throw away blends you don't like. Put them in a sealed jar and save them. You may grow into them later.

Mar 1, 2014
Find some blends that burn better and stick with them for a while. 1-Q was a good burner for me, no drying necessary since it seems like they blend it to burn while soaked in PG (not the same as water, but still keeps the tobacco pliable). Some of those blends are formulated to never "dry out", but still smoke well. I've found that Sutliff blends that are flavored with alcohol tend to burn well, and taste very good.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Yeh, maybe it will work for you, but if I had to smoke Prince Albert early on, I would have tossed my pipe out the window of my car and then stopped and bought a cigar.
+1, but I would have tossed my cookies out the car window as well.
Actually I started with cigars, then went to the pipe. Luckily there was a B&M by campus, so I bypassed the drugstore crap in the beginning. Only when I tried some later on did I realize how lucky I had been.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
I would second suggestions to try an english blend. I will assume that the main reason you can't taste anything is you are burning your mouth amd tongue such as one might accidentally do with hot coffee or tea and then not be able to taste the rest of the cup.

English blends are notoriously cool smoking tobaccos and nearly all of them have excellent burning properties with minimal if any fuss. They also tend to be fuller bodied so you will not be encouraged to puff harder or more frequently trying to "find" the flavor. It will readily present itself without much prodding. Once your technique has improved you can then return to your aromatics and you will find the flavor much easier.

(Disclaimer: Latakia is not for everyone and the tin note to newer pipe smokers can come off as down right revolting. Stick with it and you will start to appreciate it and understand why so many prefer it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.