Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Cant Stop Buying Pipes !!!!

(38 posts)
  1. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

he guys so i just purchased another pipe.
    when i seen it online i just couldnt help myself, i think i might have a problem lol
    i've been lurking around different sites just looking at pipes and daydreaming about opening a new box and pulling out a fresh pipe. gazing at it as i have done so many times before, but it never gets old . i feel like a little kid at christmas. opening that new pipe holding it in my hands and feeling every bend of the bowl,appreciating the flawless smoothness of the stem and inspecting the depth of the chamber. i than give it a quick wipe in anticipation of putting it to my lips for the first time. pulling on it to get somewhat of an idea of the air flow, as i clench down ever so softly as to hold it in my mouth but not disturb or scrath the bit. all the while a grin from ear to ear smeared across my face, as if the pipe is already lit and im enjoying one of my favorite blends. im quiet now, in another world where most cannot understand how much pleasure a simple man can get out of opening a new pipe. i think only a pipesmoker can truly understand the complexity of such an experience...maybe the only simple way to describe this is in one word PRICELESS
    THE SAVINELLI 673 OCEANO RUSTICATED
    picture to follow when it arrives
    keep em lit gentleman
    cheers

Title Capitalized- Rule 9 Thanks, Zack

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a new Grabow CDL and brushed Stanwell stashed away in a box with a few tins for that Christmas effect. One day I'll come across it and surprise myself. Congrats on the pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dang, aro. I may need to go take a cold shower now...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The good new is that some of us get over PAD in a few decades, the bad news is that most don't. Love that stem!

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Given the current environment, I think your money is better spent on tobacco. But I certainly get the pipe addiction.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That new pipe feeling never goes away. There's something almost magical about holding that new pipe in your hands for the first time. I've done that with all my pipes... even cobs!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dang, aro. I may need to go take a cold shower now..

LOL

That is a great looking pipe...congrats.

Given the current environment, I think your money is better spent on tobacco. But I certainly get the pipe addiction.

Yeah, when the tobacco's all gone they'll probably be giving the pipes away.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beauteé

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice stem on that pipe

+1 for the buying tobacco over pipes for me, but its hard to turn down a nice pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

may i ask why everyone is saying to buy tobacco ?
    are we looking at a shortage ?
    should i be bulking up on my blends ?
    this concerns me

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

thanks for posting that pic chasing embers
    thats the exact pipe thats on its way
    i cant wait to get it

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aro, there are a few factors, one of which is new FDA regulations.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

do the new regulations prohibit sales outside the us
    from what ive read quickly it seems that the new rules are going to make it tougher on the manufacturer but it doesnt state that whether or not tobacco will become unavailable
    perhaps prices may go up ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a number of things to consider in addition to the FDA regs. McClelland js already gone out of business. Dunhill sets they're closing. The potential exists for internet tobacco sales to be banned. Cigarette companies consuming tobacco previously targeted for pipe tobacco leading to product shortages. General anti smoking sentiment . Need more?

Go to the bigger internet sites and try to buy a number of popular tobacco. YrsS, there is lots of tobacco three but lots of out of stock.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

did a little reading on the forums here concerning this subject
    i understand now
    i feel like im behind the eight ball here
    time to start bulking up the cellar
    thanks guys for the advice..here i go...

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yeah, when the tobacco's all gone they'll probably be giving the pipes away.

People will find something else to smoke in them.

Nice looking pipe BTW, congrats!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe. How does it smoke?
    It’s hard to see a massive pipe tobacco shortage or end of days scenario. Sure the writing is on the wall but I am trying to not be a dooms day type of thinker. In the mean time there is nothing wrong with stocking up the “cellar”

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

the pipe is in the mail
    just ordered it yesterday
    will keep you posted as soon as i recieve it
    keeping an eye out for the mail man is becoming a second hobby now is that weird ???? hahaha

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe and I totally get what you are saying. I am also like a kid at Christmas when I get a new pipe in. As soon as I get one, I open the box, clean the stem and load it up. I don't care if I already have a pipe going, I light up the new one.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Looks like a fine pipe; i think you'll enjoy it. Pipe acquisition disorder/PAD can get severe. Draw some guidelines so at least with quantity you'll end up with pipes you'll enjoy in rotation. Shop a lot more than you buy. Sometimes you'll realize that every nifty, fascinating pipe isn't something you need, so have some selectivity. Think what you already own, so you don't get endless pipes that serve the same function. Different shapes, sizes, finishes, and places of origin will round out your stable. Wait for sales and discounts when possible. Buy only one pipe at a time, and round out the order with tobacco to save on shipping. Remember, pipes often last the rest of a lifetime, so you'll be looking at that briar (etc.) for a long time. ...Oh, and take an opportunity to shop in person when possible, pipe shops, pipe shows; this will give you a chance to hold, heft, examine and evaluate pipes in a way you can't online. Look at pipes you can't afford, to see how the pricey pipes look. This is advice offered on buying a suit, to give an idea about how high-end products look, so you can better spot quality in your price range.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The potential exists for internet tobacco sales to be banned

which is probably the biggest hurdle for Canadian pipe smokers. The selection at our B&M stores are lacking and expensive. Internet sales from the states opens up so many more blends at a fraction of the price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mikethompson you hit the nail on the head. I support my local store often and have developed a great relationship with them but I do place two monthly orders online, each consisting on 150 -200 grams of things we don’t have access to here. A 50 gram tin of tobacco here goes for $37 to $48

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

You guys have no willpower

I have a bunch of pipes still brand new in the box and I experience that "kid on Xmas morning" thing every time I drag them out and admire them. And when I absolutely feel like I need to have a new pipe, I pick one out of my stock and smoke it. Usually, it's a birthday, holiday or some other special event.
    Seriously, a pipe is never new again after you smoke it. And I just like to drag out that new pipe feeling as long as I can. I know many of you will say a pipe is meant to be smoked and enjoyed, but keeping it brand new for a few years before I spark it up is enjoyable for me. By the time I finally do smoke it, it's now a very big deal!

That said, congrats on that Sav 673, aro222. I've been wanting a 673 and as soon as that Oceano line came out, I knew I had to have that pipe too. I think the way the black rustication offsets that wild blue stem is gorgeous. And, it's sitting right here brand new in the box

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good looking pipe. We suffer together. I have a new Castello on the way and I'm already looking for another!

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once I had more pipes than I needed, the idea occurred to me that I ought not buy more. Then I also had to have three or four fine pipes, which within my realm of affordability meant between $200.00-$300.00, having agreed that that would provide a superior smoking experience, which these "superior" pipes never did. Thus disappointed, I've concluded that a superior pipe is defined by a comfortable stem and a few minor additions:

1. chamfered tenon
    2. snug tenon fitment
    3. not even a small gap between stem and shank/mortise
    4. opened bit

Excellent drilling, including entering the chamber at the bottom-center is assumed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

saltedplug, all your criterion listed, with the exception of excellent drilling, isn't too hard to achieve with a few modifications and just some basic hand tools and supplies. I've had good success turning some real dogs into excellent puffers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

oh pipesticks
    you have that baby sitting in a box in front of you and you havent packed it yet ???
    good for you buddy
    i dont think i could hold off on that one
    i recently smoked a new sav that i got a couple months ago and waited to fire it up
    just wasnt sure it was the right time to smoke it
    but after i did i regreted waiting so long it is now tied for first on my favorite pipe list
    just thinking of all the nights i could have been enjoying that pipe the last 2 months and did not makes me sad
    i wont wait again
    new pipes should be smoked and enjoyed and properly placed in order of preference
    it will be curious to see where this new 673 lands on my list

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

aro222, I decided I wanted to save that Oceano for my birthday in May and I plan to break it in with some McClelland's 40th Anniversary and/or Blackwoods Flake while sipping some Bushmills. I can't think of a better way to celebrate. I'm really looking forward to it!

Just got a package delivered from 4noggins. My HH tins and the pound of Vintage Syrian just arrived. The VS is dated Feb 2018....don't get much fresher than that!
    I think I'll have to smoke a few bowls fresh today then jar it up for a few years

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a 673 Opera my wife got me for a gift about two years ago; I really love it, the right size bowl, the heft but not heavy, just right. It's a great shape.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

a birthday sounds like the perfect time to fire her up
    and may isnt that far off so hang in there
    i should get mine next week so ill let you know how it is
    enjoy brother
    cheers

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

aro222, you have a problem. No one needs to buy anymore than 3 pipes. Focus on tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

33. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

But true. I find myself rotating through three pipes in recent months.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

You may not need more than 3 pipes.
    In my case the want exceeds the need.
    Does a man really need more than 1 automobile, no, but that doesn't stop collectors from buying
    My pipe collection is up to 6 right now and that is still considered quite small
    Do i have a problem ? Maybe... but i'm not done collecting yet and yes i love them all
    As far as tobacco. My cellar keeps growing at a comfortable pace
    Keep 'em lit gents
    cheers

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe. Gotta love a Sav.
    I rarely buy new pipes anymore, but sometimes one just "Speaks" to you.
    Good luck managing the PAD.

In my case the want exceeds the need

I think that's a common affliction for many of us

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just picked up the exact same pipe in my local B&M this week. First bowl was 40th Anniversary. Just like my other three 673s it is a great smoker.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe john
    Enjoy

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well,some year ago I was swearing I ain't gonna have more than 7-9 good pipes,today I got em 32, and this must stop now,
    Ps. I also have that 673 'Friday' Savinelli and agreed, it is surprisingly good smoker even I better like the straight shape.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bryans, lawayna, warren, alan73, ben88, lightxmyfire, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell, philobeddoe, pepesdad1, samw74, jaytex969