PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
fuego-gurabo-599x330_zpsmlhe7t5h.jpg

For the past three days there has been a fire raging in the neighbouring municipality, just ten minutes away from where I live. Puerto Rico is currently undergoing a drought; particularly the east side of the island. I know these events are sadly not too uncommon in many states this time of year, but other than some sporadic, easily containable small fires on route to the island's south, such a big one is extremely rare. About 970 acres have burned; and mind you, my home city is just barely 59 square miles. The whole northeastern part of Caguas smells like smoke.

I remember the first time I smelled that campfire aroma most of you have etched in your minds from those childhood memories of chilly winters, chimneys and warm beverages. I spent new years this year in Montreal, and I was the happiest person freezing my ass off, drinking hot chocolate near some outdoor stove with freshly added logs in the Vieux Port. That added another dimension my enjoyment of Latakia, another layer of experiences to associate with it. This, this is quite the opposite. A nasty, acrid cocktail of burnt shrubbery, dry grass, and I can't even describe what else.

The worst part of the fire was mostly under control by yesterday afternoon and thankfully no houses were directly affected by the flames, just the smoke; but I woke up today and had to turn the A/C off because my room just reeked. I haven't felt that nauseous in a really long time. I've been queasy the whole day. The mind wants a bowl of Three Oaks Syrian, but the body has 0 appetite for it. Sad.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Sorry to hear that, Edwin. It's so damp in PR that I'm surprised a wild fire could occur. Best wishes and I hope it gets under control quickly.
If the fires persist, and you simply can't smoke, let me know if you need me to send down some Copenhagen ;)

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Hahahaha. Much appreciated Perique, but I really hope things don't get that serious. And yeah, climate is a funny and delicate thing. Yesterday it rained for a while! However, we've been having a rainfall deficit since 2013, and the problem with the East is that it hasn't been raining in the right parts to fill the main reservoirs. There is a normal dry season between February and April (now I wonder if the superstition that it's lucky to get wet with the first showers of May has any relation), but aparently it didn't get the memo to end and it just kept going. Let's hope it gets better soon, cause once we go for the Copenhagen in lieu of a pipe, well then it's just madness. Haha.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the informative post. I had no idea P.R. had drought issues. Who'd have thought that? My conception of it is "a little slice of Paradise."

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I still think it is. And it is not a huge recurring problem. The last big drought was in 1994, and before that it was in the 60's. It all has to do with the topography and hydrography of the island, plus the higher water demand in the Metropolitan area and it's effect on the eastern reservoirs. Last month I visited a beautiful lakeside restaurant in Lago Dos Bocas in Utuado, on the northwest, and it was incredible and the reserve levels were higher than normal. Meanwhile, here on this side you had what I was describing. Those are some of the oddities you get in this piece of 111 by 36 miles of paradise. Oh, and here are some pics of the restaurant and the view:
IMAG3667_zpsjl6vicbp.jpg

IMAG3678_zpssvruxvos.jpg

IMAG3675_zps4ncd2igr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.