PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Do any of you find that you enjoy everything you've smoked? I definitely have some of my favorites, but I can't say that I hate some blend so much that if it were the only tobacco available for the rest of my life, it would put me off the pipe for ever. This includes a handful of OTC and free sample blends (most of which I have passed along to others and some that I actually have just altogether dumped)

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I am nearly the same way. I smoke alot of OTC tobacco and I have a lot of different blends, but I have never found that one blend that I just couldn't finish or say I just hate. I have smoked some and thought I won't do that again but then later on smoked them again only to have had a change of heart and started smoking on a regular basis. When I first smoked Carter Hall the first five minutes would damn near gag me and I would just about be ready to put out the bowl and it would start mellowing out and I would start enjoying it, now it is one of my go to favorites. I think taste change and I think tobacco , ages, dries, mellows , gets stouter in some instances so I never throw any away and will get around to trying it again. :puffpipe:

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
More power to the both of you. It's a good problem to have! I, on the other, just can't enioy aros anymore. I don't really taste anything. To me they're like the starbucks cool whip sugar monstrocities of the baccy world; taste good, but nothing in there for someone who likes tall, black americanos.I've had one blend bad enough to throw away, Blender's Gold Royal Cherry Cavendish. The pouch note was stale fart, the taste rotting ashtray, and bit like a mofo. No cherry flavor to be foundm

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I hate pretty much everything with the exception of Condor, Tambo, Old Dark Fired (Thank you Sam) and any old black rope. Unless it has a nicotine level like a paving slab through a plate glass window and the taste of a Bedouin women's cooter it just doesn't do anything for me!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
How could I ever forget Mixture No.79!

To quote someones review which cracked me up and pretty much sums it up: "If you were ever curious enough to wonder what it would be like to smoke a urinal cake, here you go." lol

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
I didn't come across one that i don't like yet.So far i have only moved on from certain tobaccos.I like English,Virginia blends more now.I started with aromatics.But like phil67 said i have never tried a lakeland tobacco yet.And of course the fact that im still new and have yet a lot more baccys to sample.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Found more than a few I that I don't like but would still smoke in a pinch. Only baccy I have tried to like but still find terrible is Peterson's Old Dublin. Every time I read the description it sounds right up my alley. Can't seem to muster up any love for it and if it were the only tobacco available I can honestly say I would choose to just not smoke. But I have never tried Lakeland either. Sounds like a challenge to me! :)

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
C&D Captain Bob's Blend
A nice English that someone spilled a grape pixie stick in. I have it in a jar across the room from all my other tobacco and it is all I can smell when I walk in.

How to describe...not bad, more like...just wrong.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Unless it has a nicotine level like a paving slab through a plate glass window and the taste of a Bedouin women's cooter it just doesn't do anything for me!
How you even know "the taste of a Bedouin women's cooter" I surely don't want to know.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@zekest It was a rather fun night club in Tangiers and my friend and I……………………….. never mind, it was a long time ago.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sam Gawith's Grousemoor did it for me. It was like smoking lemons and vomit!

It and Hyde Park are the only two Lakelands I've tried, and more than likely will be the only two I'll ever try.
I might also add Smoker's Pride Vanilla Cavendish to that list. It was like smoking something I raked up out of the yard!

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I second the Mixture 79, the most awful stuff I have ever smoked. If that was all that was left, I would surrender my pipe.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Nothing thus far that I found repulsive in the taste department.
I guess MacB's VA #1 is probably the tobacco I dislike the least right now, only because it's more of a pain to smoke than it is pleasant. Too much work to try to not get bit, and I didn't find the flavor all that great.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I bought a tin of Samuel Gawith scotch cut mixture and after three bowls I've come to the conclusion that I don't like it. It has an odd burnt nut taste to me that whilst I don't find it unsmokeable I don't find it pleasant and life is too short to smoke something I don't enjoy. I've put it in the cellar and will return to it several times over the coming months to see if it, or me, has changed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I haven't found anything that I actually hate, but I haven't tried any lakelands, Mixture 79 or Vomit Comet, either. My curiosity definitely knows some bounds. For the most part it's more a case of not really liking a blend all that much. Old Gowrie, and Hal O The Wind, both taste like lawn clippings to me and I've tried the advice given here on properly smoking them, to no effect. Penzance is OK, but not all that complex (I know, more for you...) but I've put a few pounds away to see if it turns into something in a few years. Perhaps it's because I imprinted on Balkan blends 40 years ago, that I go back to finding that profile most congenial. The one tobacco variety that I do hate is virginia bright, because it stings like hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.