PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm an alum of OU too. This is depressing. I'll be sending an email to the alumni association telling me to remove me from their ranks.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
FYI, contact the Alumni department and complain letting them know that any donantions you may have set aside from your estate have now been set aside for another. This will really get their attention. Most colleges rely on Alums for financial support and donations. Get them where it hurts and make it well known.

My Alma Mater did this also. I was smoking a pipe with one of my old professors smoking a cigar on campus, discussing this last year during our annual College Night. Apparently, it is one of those "on the books" rules that no one ever pays any attention to. I remember my professor saying, "Ha ha, ...you know, there's also rules against drinking and using drugs also..." as a guy zig-zagged by drinking a beer.
It still sucks though to be lumped in with all of the other un-enforceable rules.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Nice to see another Alumni!

@Vorhees: Yeah I plan on writing a letter to them expressing my dissatisfaction.

@cosmicfolklore: I think this will pretty much go the same way. OU's campus is pretty big and I think it will be difficult for the cig users to go all day without a hit of nicotine.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I knew there were problems with American education, I didn't realize it was this desperate. How can you learn to think deeply without tobacco. This will force more students to grab a quick cigarette rather than a meditative pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A bit of an aside, but last summer we went to a wedding in New York State and stayed at

the Vassar alumna lodgings, and they provided a most pleasant smoking area with tables,

umbrellas, ashtrays, and a surrounding garden. I never had the time to go down and use

it, alas, but I appreciated that it was there. Maybe all-women schools are less autocratic?

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Vassar is a private college so they aren't necessarily tied into the autocracy of the the state government like OSU or the SUNY system. Although I bet there is a fair share of private colleges that have gone the way of the Ban.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Dammit Dan when I saw the topic title my first thought was you had a serious medical problem. Scared the crap out of me! I like your posts and was very sad for a second.
What a relief! Anyway, this is an ongoing trend. College kids are the fastest growing market in the tobacco industry, both cigarettes and others. I guess the antis are trying to hit it before it gets much bigger.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Sorry Bulletsnbriars! I probably should have made a better thread name now that I look back at it. It's rather ambiguous haha.
Yeah, I know this trend was going on but I never thought it would happen to OU! It is a liberal college. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Tend smokers tend to lean one way?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
When non-smokers think about tobacco they usually only think of cigarettes and strongly tend to lump all tobacco in with cigs with no regard for the differences of which we are well aware. This impacted ignorance extends even to ecig use which mimics and replaces smoking but otherwise has few similarities. We happy few, we band of pipe brothers simply do not remotely have the weight of numbers to turn this cultural tide and our cries that the pipe has great psychological benefits and presents a much lower level of health risk are not going to be loudly heard.
If the FDA in its next round of tobacco circumscription does not put the kibosh on pipe tobacco we can be sure the antis will come back to the prohibition well again ere long. Haters gonna hate so I maintain that stocking up to the greatest extent one's disposable income will allow is the only rational choice we really have. Besides even if the worst does not happen few of us will complain about having firm and fully packed cellars.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Over here in Australia you have to be off the property in any public location. Shopping centres are an exception to the rule where you have to be at least 30ft from any entrance before you light up. This sucks cause they don't have any covered areas to light up when it's raining. If you light up, even while walking away from the entrance you get a fine of $250. They call it equal opportunity rights For nonsmoking people but the rights of smokers simply don't exist.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, a $250 fine for smoking in public in Australia. Ouch. That could impinge on the tourism if it were widely known.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
They tried to put similar regulations in place in my college. Our Students' Union put it to a vote and, surprisingly and encouragingly, the vote came out against the regulation. This doesn't mean it won't happen, just that the SU won't support the college authorities in enshrining it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
any state school in Ohio (including The Ohio State University) have a no tobacco use on campus policy. rarely enforced unless you are purposely trying to piss someone off.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
For such a big party school, I would think that tobacco should be the least of their concerns.
this will be the 40th year..

2014 Athens Halloween Block Party

Athens_Halloween_4.widea.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.