PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
tslex said in another thread: "I am a huge rustication fan and have never seen anything quite like what you do. This, for example: Cannoy pipe
The rustication is simultaneously very fine and very craggy. Simply amazing. (ETA: I see you call it a "suede blast" which makes sense. Is it actually a blast, not a rust? Either way, gorgeous.)"
This reminds me of my Brakner's finish. I am told Brakner had a proprietary blast technique, which was never disclosed.
hp

les

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Yes lestrout. Cannoy's Suede blasts are very beautiful. They are my pipe above all other pipes I want to own.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I haven't heard of this finish until Les wrote this post. It certainly does look like suede, very uniform and shallow surface blast. I know that the European market enjoys this finish after speaking with Bill Taylor years ago. Bill stated that the German market always preferred his shallow smoother sandblast finish and that the American market always wanted the craggiest finish they could get. Walt has an incredible talent for bringing out some amazing designs and finishes on his master works. Thanks for showing us this Cannoy suede finish, awesome!

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I remember seeing a photo on Facebook that Walt posted, with the same suede blast. I think it makes for a really classy looking pipe. Simply gorgeous!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Thanks for the comments, everybody! The suede-blast was a long time in the making, and the very slow blasting process continues to be a labor of love. While doing a lot of experimenting with blasting equipment, media, process and settings, I sort of stumbled upon the combination that yielded these results. The beauty of this blast is the fact that is blasts half of the grain very, very deep, while leaving the other half virtualy untouched. This means the the overall shape of the pipe is not distorted by the blasting!
Here's some closeups of the birdseye/crossgrain portion of a pipe after blasting and before staining:
IMG_2556_b.jpg

Same image, but even closer:

IMG_2556_c.jpg

There are only a few of these suede-blasted pipes in circulation right now, as I have only been making these for a few months, but I can't wait to get more of them into the hands of pipesmokers everywhere. The photos are nothing compared to seeing one up close and in person! There are a few available, and several photos of the suede-blast finish online. With respect to the forum rules, I will only say that one of the forum sponsors, smokingpipes.com, still had at least one Cannoy Suede-Blast pipe avalable, last time I checked...
Cheers

-Walt

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Wow, absolutely beautiful! I must figure out how to add one of these to my collection. :clap: :worship:

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am very much a fan of Walt's suede blast finish...I will own one of those pipes one day.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you all haven't heard the Pipes Magazine Radio Show interview with Walt Cannoy, it's archived here, Episode 24. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-24/
BTW, I'm surprised how many folks here apparently aren't listening to the weekly podcast. I didn't like it much at first, but I have to say that its quirky charms have really grown on me. Definitely worth checking out at least several episodes before you decide it's not for you. (And it's playable on anything from your computer to your smartphone to your tablet.)
Bob

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Wow; I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these... How much will one of these set you back?
Teufelshund,
Depending on the pipe and where you buy it, current offerings are running from $380 to $460
Cheers

Walt

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yowza! I'm blown (blasted) away. Just too cool for words. A while back I had a battle royal on eBay trying to outbid the competition on one of the coolest pipes I've ever seen. Unfortunately I didn't make it. The pipe? A Walt Cannoy creation where the shank embraced the bowl with carved blasted arms, like scragly roots reaching out and around. The irony? A month layer the same pipe was reposted, but then I didn't have the funds. Walt makes some gorgeously cool pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.